Author Topic: Avast free vs Avast Internet Security  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Avast free vs Avast Internet Security
« on: June 02, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
What's the benefits to Avast IS compared to Avast Free? I'm thinking of upgrading to the Internet Security for added protection if there is any. Also Does Avast accept Amex cards as a payment option?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast free vs Avast Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 10:24:16 PM »
I suggest check the various comparisons and see if there anything that appeals to you or you need.

See this link that is on the default page of avast.com, Compare Products - https://www.avast.com/compare-antivirus.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:11:20 AM »
Hi! Sorry for the late update but I've decided either the pro or Internet Security would benefit me some. If i buy via the Avast free upgrade button should it give me the option to opt out of auto renewal?
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 06:21:20 AM »
Best decision would be either Pro or AIS.  AIS has a few more features you can use but with either you can turn off auto-renewal before you complete the buying process. 

You must keep an eye out for this auto-renewal feature (ticked on by default) if you don't want it and be sure to untick it.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline WK_schnarfl

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »
As Avast "under-evangelist", I used both. It seems that the main difference between  "Free Antivirus" and "AIS" is that if the
free version stops working, or lets malware & viruses sneak through (which happened) then you'll say "Oh well, it was free, so
what did I expect?"

whereas if the "paid for AIS" goes bad, then you have reason to get really mad and go "What the!! I paid for this? and now the
WIFI inspector does not stop running at 100% and goes to 3,328%, and the darn thing does not find anything wrong with stuff
(i.e. datagrams, connection requests" from places in Russia, Bulgaria, Seychelles, South Afrika, North Korea, China, Philippines,
Belize, Panama, Chile, Mexico, Vietnam, etc. )  which would seem to be somewhat odd for someone located in the USA Midwest.
And then you ask, reinstall, redo, refix, and the thing meaning AIS (Avast Internet Security) still does not find anything wrong, but
your computer slows down, and shows 12 to 14 instances of Chrome.exe adding more and more used memory (as you can see via
Windows Task Manager (Ctrl & Esc), on web pages that are basically inert and don't "do" anything, so something is obviously going
on behind the scenes on your computer, but both AIS and the people developing it appear to have blinders on, and see nothing, find
nothing and do nothing. 

This is a true and ongoing story.  Using Avast Cleanup, Malwarebytes, deleting all cookies (even those you need), deleting everything Temp,
with MS Disk Cleanup, buying a new modem/router, getting a new static ip address from my ISP,  that does not make any difference.   Of course I researched and put as many as 50 or 60 "suspicious looking IP address ranges" from "potentially weird countries" on my Firewall block list, and at that point some of these source IP's do a bit of a blocked port scan, but eventually they find a way around that, because the hackers are not stupid.   

So, if you asked me, and you don't, I'd say that AIS Avast Internet Security could use a little bit more  AI - Artificial Intelligence - in its programming,
to ACTUALLY keep up with the various and growing threats on the Internet.  It also needs more cowbell, but that's a little joke I make. 
Clearly, many, if not most Antivirus, Web Security, etc. companies are falling behind.  You only agree to that when it happens to you.

Finally, since this is ONLY A FORUM with a less than 0.0007391% chance of being read by ACTUAL Avast decision makers, it feels like I am preaching to
a virtual wailing wall, with zero effect, as per the usual.   I hope this makes your purchasing decisions easier.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:38:41 AM »
Finally, since this is ONLY A FORUM with a less than 0.0007391% chance of being read by ACTUAL Avast decision makers, it feels like I am preaching to a virtual wailing wall, with zero effect, as per the usual.
You can submit your feedback in "About Avast".
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0