Author Topic: Moderators  (Read 16501 times)

Culpeper

Re:Moderators
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2004, 07:10:09 AM »
I can't remember how many posts a newcomer has to post before he can start using the karma options.  I think it's about 10 or so.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2004, 03:58:01 PM »
its 26
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2004, 05:44:47 PM »
Hi all
its 26

No, it is 20. I would like to express my opinion on all this karma affair which happened here (not for the first time!) in last several days.

First, I think the karma system is very nice and interesting feature which can help to appreciate the work of the forum members - the good one and sometimes the bad one too. It is nothing more or less and I've got the feeling that many of you overvalue it sometimes.

Secondly, all applauds and smites are logged in the system, so I can easily see which of you 'cooperate' together and which 'fight' with some other members of the community. And believe me, sometimes it is very sad experience!

I would like to ask all of you to use karma system in very simple style - if someone helps others, he will definitely deserve karmas, if he attacks others in a very bad style, he deserves a smite. Please do not misuse this system just to apply your personal feelings or preferences! Otherwise we will be forced to switch it off - and it would be really pity!

PS: There is no way in the YABB SE to switch off just smites - and I personaly think that it can be useful if used moderately.

So please forget karmas as the main thing on this forum for now and let all the users enjoy it in its very best!!!

Pavel

Walker

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2004, 05:49:31 PM »
Pavel,

On those comments, I entirely agree with you.

Could I suggest that if you know the culprit or of misuse then perhaps you could have a quiet word with the individual.

If it did work properly, then I'm with you.

Have a Krma on me  ;)

Walker.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2004, 06:55:46 PM »
Pavel,
On those comments, I entirely agree with you.
Could I suggest that if you know the culprit or of misuse then perhaps you could have a quiet word with the individual.
If it did work properly, then I'm with you.
Have a Krma on me  ;)
Walker.

I fully agree with Walker.
Pavel, you can say him/her a word by IM  ;)

But, of course, don't loose your time with this. Maybe just if you note a 'smitter' behavior which is not fair...
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2004, 07:07:06 PM »
Pavel:

It's really not personal but the principle of the thing from my perspective.  With that in mind, I just feel that the 1 hour limit is excessive and unnecessary and invites abuse from a user that simply just doesn't like another user.  With a little patience as well as lack of something better to do, a single user can reduce another user's marks a dozen or more times in one day.  I don't think it is asking too much to change the 1 hour setting.  Even to something like every 3 hours would be fine with me.

Walker

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2004, 07:11:12 PM »
Culpeper,

I can see what your saying, but what about the scenario where you (or any user) might want to applaud 2 or 3 topics/users?.. you would never be able to do it. ie it could take 6 - 9 hours and then there might be someone/thing else that came along to applaud.. impossible I think  :-\

Walker

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2004, 07:24:37 PM »
Hi all
its 26

PS: There is no way in the YABB SE to switch off just smites - and I personaly think that it can be useful if used moderately.

Pavel

Pavel,
Wilders Security Forums uses the same YABB SE system and they managed to switch off the 'smites' as you can see in the attached pic  ::)
MW

Culpeper

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2004, 07:50:20 PM »
That a good point Walker.  I do applaude the same person sometimes over once per day.

I think the admin probably will send an IM to the person not being very nice and that will take care of the problem.

The problem went away for a while the last time it was brought out into the open like this.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 07:51:43 PM by Culpeper »

Culpeper

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2004, 07:52:50 PM »
Minacross:

The smites are important for posters like me.  I deserve to be smite every so often.   :-[

Walker

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2004, 08:01:46 PM »
That a good point Walker.  I do applaude the same person sometimes over once per day.

Yep, but it does'nt even mean the same person. As far as I know, you can only applaud once an hour even if it's a different person.

Let's hope admin do the business. If nothing else has come from this at least the 'smiter' knows that admin can see what he/she is doing  :D

W.

Waldo

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2004, 10:21:32 PM »
well, guys, to be honest, I'm glad Pavel decided to kick the karma stuff.

If i see what this discussion over a stupid smite or apllaud did to our beloved forum and relation between senior members, I support Pavel for 100 % !!

I'm sooo happy i didn't get involved in this kind of crap in the first place !

I always kept my mouth wisely shut.

Now, I hope & demand that this discussion is closed forever !

Kind regards, your S.M. mistress >Waldo :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2004, 01:53:29 AM »
well, guys, to be honest, I'm glad Pavel decided to kick the k@rma stuff.

If i see what this discussion over a stupid smite or apllaud did to our beloved forum and relation between senior members, I support Pavel for 100 % !!
I'm sooo happy i didn't get involved in this kind of crap in the first place !
I always kept my mouth wisely shut.
Now, I hope & demand that this discussion is closed forever !
Kind regards, your S.M. mistress >Waldo :)

I envy you Waldo... I have posted something in the past and I regret... Anyway, I'm deeply sad and disappointed in what happened here  :'(
The best things in life are free.