Author Topic: Blocked Mail Server  (Read 2155 times)

jschinabeck

Blocked Mail Server
« on: June 30, 2006, 08:36:52 PM »
Sticky 127.0.0.1 Proxy – Mail Server Blocked

Using Win98se, Interrnet Explorer 6 SP1, Avast Home V4.7, MS Outlook 2k, OLExp 6x, no firewall, MailWasherPro 5.2, Ad-Aware,  Linksys BEFW11S4 Router, Linksys Wet11 bridge to WISP.

Use OL2k as my primary E-Mail client and seldom use OLExp6 to get my wifes mail when she has problems on her Macintosh. Use MWP every day to delete malware on multiple POP mail servers including my wife’s.

After years of full functionality, the following problems surfaced about three months ago on my two Win98se systems (desktop and laptop). MailWasherPro session error encountered when checking pop.compuserve.com: "The connection to the incoming server was reset, check your internet connection". When OL2k is subsequently used to download from several pop mail servers, pop.compuserve.com is simply skipped without any error indication. Checking pop.compuserve.com with OExp returns error: "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Compuserve-BYOA', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F". About one time in 50 attempts OL2k, Mailwasherpro, and/or OExp function properly with all mail servers including Compuserve’s. Compuserve’s mail server checked via the web (Free MAIL2WEB program) verifies there are messages on the server and the account and password are AOK. I use the web mail connection to read and delete messages from the server. Note the BYOA account uses pop.compuserve.com for incomimg mail and my ISPs smtp server.

Since Avast was one of the involved applications updated regularly, I decided to ‘disconnect’ it from MailWasherPro and OExp to check for possible conflicts. Mailwasherpro.exe and msimn.exe were excluded in Avast settings. Seven mail server entries were re-entered in MWP and OExp. MWP does not reflect the 127.0.0.1 proxy. However, Avast’s 127.0.0.1 proxy overwrites manual mail server entries each time OExp checks a mail account.

I want full Avast protection for the OL2k mail client while OExp and MWP are completely disconnected from Avast . Can you define a step-by-step procedure to accomplish this?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Blocked Mail Server
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »
Use the Mail Protection Wizard (menu Start->Programs->avast! Antivirus) and select to remove the protection. It will terminate the mail proxy, revert the accounts to their original state and turn off modifying the accounts to 127.0.0.1.