Author Topic: AVAST EMAIL SIGNATURE CONTAINS A BOT  (Read 932 times)

REDACTED

AVAST EMAIL SIGNATURE CONTAINS A BOT
« on: June 10, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »
Unbeknownst to me,  I was happily polluting all my emails with the AVAST signature line.  Well not quite true, I did see the AVAST signature when folks sent me reply emails and I initially thought hmmm  maybe that is not so bad.  GOOD for my email recipients to know that my emails are being scanned by AVAST and that there would be some level of risk management by accepting my emails.

Then today a learned IT person, asked me to remove the signature from any email I sent him.   The reason being is that the signature 'according to him' contains a bot and that is ACTIVATED when someone touches the embedded link.   When the signature gets touched it inserts a bot into memory and sends the wan ip address to their server and waits for instructions.

IS THIS TRUE?

If not illegal it certainly seem immoral?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVAST EMAIL SIGNATURE CONTAINS A BOT
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:54:07 AM »
This is something that has been there for absolutely years, it is easy enough to change, see attached image.

As far as I'm aware, no bot it is just a signature, the link is back to avast.com. 

It doesn't do anything unless you click it and in that case it basically says your visit to avast was as a result of the email signature of the avast email.  Hovering over the link shows the full URL information, see attached image2 of this reference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security