Author Topic: Avast 4.7 crash at install  (Read 2419 times)

RicoTheBold

Avast 4.7 crash at install
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:41:47 PM »
Avast 4.7 will not install on my new computer.  It's running Windows XP Pro SP2 (32-bit) with all the updates on an Athlon 64 X2 chip (with AMD's dual-core drivers and the Microsoft dual-core performance hotfix loaded).

The installer crashes whenever I try to run it.  "avast.setup has encountered a problem and needs to close."  Home and Pro installers give the same error.  It crashes in safe mode.  It's a shiny new install, literally under 48 hours old, and everything else is installing fine.  I haven't loaded a firewall or any other security software on the machine yet.

I doubt it matters, but Vista is installed on a second partition on the same drive.

Umm...I just figured it out, literally as I'm writing this post.  I'm going to go ahead and post it so maybe the bug can get fixed or something.  Somehow the date on my system was a good 80 years or so in the future, which was causing the crash.  I'm guessing that got screwed up when I updated my BIOS the other day or something...

Anyway, thanks for the great product, even if it's not Y2K86 compatible.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:43:32 PM by RicoTheBold »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 4.7 crash at install
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 01:25:50 AM »
avast.setup
Are you sure this is the name of the installer?
Shouldn't it be setupengpro.exe ?
avast.setup is a temporary file for update...

Everything else is installing fine.
What is 'everything else' here? Which programs?

I haven't loaded a firewall or any other security software on the machine yet.
With load you mean 'activate' or 'install'?

I doubt it matters, but Vista is installed on a second partition on the same drive.
No trouble... I have Vista at another partition too...
I suppose you're installing in your XP partition using an account with admin rights.

Umm...I just figured it out, literally as I'm writing this post.  I'm going to go ahead and post it so maybe the bug can get fixed or something.  Somehow the date on my system was a good 80 years or so in the future, which was causing the crash.  I'm guessing that got screwed up when I updated my BIOS the other day or something...
Ummm... I have read this only now either  ;D
Did you correct, boot and try to install again?
The best things in life are free.