Author Topic: HELP! Is my phone infected with a virus?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline kvintanzil

HELP! Is my phone infected with a virus?
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:45:58 AM »
So i just checked in a hotel and use the public wifi available on my android phone, after using it for a while i clicked on a football site from twitter link that i'm not familiar with, upon entering the site i got a notification that my phone is infected with a virus that could harm my photos, videos, etc and i should do something about it by clicking the options available on the site. i forgot what the site is but i remember the offer is from google but im not sure if it's legit google or not,  i wans't really panicking at the time because i thought it's just a pissing site.. until my phone is buzzing.. like i got a call from someone, so i get this notification with a buzz that tell me my phone is infected with a virus from the site.

so i thought i should close my browser immediately, and i thought everything is fine until i checked my gallery, from around 2000 photos i only have 60 photos left!! im panicking so much i tried to google the virus but my browser won't connect to the internet even though the wifi is on, so i thought i really got infected by a mobile virus and i immediately downloaded avast from playstore but the download is so slow i had to turn off the wifi and change to mobile data, and after downloading avast i immediately scan my phone and it only detected 2 risk only which is something like web shield etc, so i turned them on like avast told me to. but no virus detected (?) im not really familiar with mobile antivirus so i'm not really sure.

and i never turned on the wifi again, and after scanning with avast i checked my gallery again and guess what all my photos is back!! although some album and video like instagram album is missing.  how did they get back?? did i have a backup data or something? and how did it gone?? does the virus did it??

i never knew you could get a virus by opening a website.. i didn't even install anything, i opened the site and get the notification and i didn't click anything, i closed the browser.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:48:10 AM by kvintanzil »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: HELP! Is my phone infected with a virus?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »
Yep, it's called a drive-by infection.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1809 Avast Premier Security version 19.8.2393 (build 19.8.4793.541) UI version 1.0.415.  Current version is back to Avast Internet Security.

Offline kvintanzil

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
Yep, it's called a drive-by infection.

okay, so my phone got infected by that and avast couldn't find it? or is the virus gone already?
i have some account logged in on my phone such as  facebook twitter and gmail, is my password hacked/vulnerable now? should i change it?
and lastly i want to reset my phone to the factory setting, is it safe to make up a backup of all the photos and videos to google drive? will the virus follow too?

thanks in advance.

Offline Asyn

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
Note, the topic has been moved to AMA.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast PremSec 19.9.2394.B#1 - CC 5.63 - EEK - Firefox ESR 68.3 [NS/AOS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 68.3 [EM] - ACP/ASL.BC
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline kvintanzil

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
waiting for the answer still.. right now im just backing up all my photo and videos to google photos, because when i try to manually backup it from my laptop it just froze. damn i will never click unfamiliar sites ever again

Offline kvintanzil

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
anyone? i just wanted to know if the virus get the data of my phone notes and saved password from my phone such as facebook, twitter and email.
note that i didn't login to anything when i get the virus, so it's an already logged in account.

Offline Tereza V.

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 03:03:32 PM »
Hi, a colleague of mine has contacted you via e-mail, I believe he can answer all your questions.