Author Topic: ashWebSv keeps getting shut down by DEP  (Read 3038 times)

Skorp

ashWebSv keeps getting shut down by DEP
« on: July 01, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »
I've been using avast for years without incident. But out of the blue, data execution prevention keeps shutting down the web scanner. I have no idea why it insists on closing it; I have added ashWebSv.exe to the list of exceptions to no effect, and I have tried enabling DEP only for windows services. No setting stops this error. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: ashWebSv keeps getting shut down by DEP
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 04:04:38 PM »
That's strange... ashWebSv shouldn't have any issues with DEP. Maybe some LSP hijack taking place...  ???

Is there any more information in the DEP error message? Do you have any low-level network applications (such as a firewall) installed?

Skorp

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 05:55:38 PM »
Yeah, I have sygate personal firewall, and have been using it flawlessly with avast for years.

I did a Spybot S&D check, it diddnt turn up anything, but I dont know what an LSP hijack is, so I wouldnt know what to look for.

The DEP message doesnt have any usefull information, it just tells me it has closed the avast! Web Scanner and that its publisher is ALWIL Software.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 10:23:28 PM »
Hi Skorp, say which Internet browser, if any, are you using when this happens?

I had tried the MS IE 7 Beta 2 browser, and something about it was causing Zone Alarm, and Avast! to both shut down, however, I never got any error messages, or any other kind of notice as to what had happened.

I uninsulated that sucker, and so far It hasn't happened again.

Good luck.

♥ Wendy

Skorp

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »
It happens right at boot, I dont have chance to start up IE7. I've been using that for a few months as well. The only thing that can have prompted this is a windows update or some piece of malware. I diddnt think IE7 and DEP were related, but i'll try uninstalling it anyway.

UPDATE: You're a genius! It hasnt popped up anymore! I havent restarted the PC yet, so it might mess up again later, but its a start. It might have been a piece of nasty malware clinging to IE7, i'm not sure. Either way, thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:48:30 PM by Skorp »

wendy k. walker

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 10:06:23 PM »
Hi Skorp!

So does that mean that you have uninsulated the IE 7?  I don't know if it was malware/spyware that was clinging to IE 7 or not.

More than likely it was just some bug that MS hadn't worked out yet because any time that I would try to copy/paste anything from my .wps files into yahoo mail it would cause IE to crash.

Do you ever use "Geeks To Go", or "Bleeping Computers" free online help  services whenever you think that you might be having a spyware\malware related problem?

♥ Wendy