Author Topic: i never set a master password  (Read 11135 times)

Offline Kris27

i never set a master password
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »
i never set a master password for avast passwords and now after the latest firefox update, im locked out. is this even possible?

REDACTED

Re: i never set a master password
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 03:23:46 AM »
I am also having the same problem.  I never set up a master password and today I find myself locked out after updating Firefox yesterday.   Had to make a new account to post to this page.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:04:38 PM »
Please can anyone help us with this issue?

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 09:07:05 PM »
Hey Kris and Susan, what do you guys see when you open Avast and navigate to Passwords (Privacy -> Passwords)? Is there a master password prompt? If not, can you make me a screenshot and gather the program logs for me?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:16:38 PM »
I am not sure how to provide the log files you are asking for, please advise and thank you for the response. :)

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »
Can you close the Passwords settings and do me an another screenshot?

As for the logs, I'm interested in are AvastSvc.log and AvastUI.log files from C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log, but before you collect them, can you do following steps for me?

1. Enable debug logging so I will get more information about whats happening, which might help me with fixing this issue. For that, you need to open Avast, then go to Menu and then Settings. In General tab there should be a Maintenance section and then a Logs subsection. Here I'll need you to check the Enable debug logging checkbox and change the Maximum size of each log file to from default 4096 to 15500.

2. Restart PC and then open Avast and navigate to Passwords again. If you still are locked out of passwords (I guess you will be), close the Avast. The closing part is kinda important so all messages are properly written to the log files.

After closing the AvastUI, please send me the the screenshot and log files to daniel.hustava@avast.com (so we don't spam here) and disable debug logging (it slows down your computer and we don't want that :) )

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 11:59:14 PM »
I closed the program and opened it again, used the privacy and password tabs to gain access to the password area and see exactly the same screenshot. I did not access this through the settings tap in the top right interface.

I located the files and will send them as soon as I complete your steps
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:11:19 AM by susan0802 »

Offline Kris27

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 05:35:45 AM »
daniel, did you get my email?

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
Hi Kris,

I'm afraid I didn't. Only communication I have on this issue is with @susan0802.

Anyway, my investigation on this issue is getting further, but I will need one more piece of information. Can someone with this issue run regedit.exe (via Start -> Run -> "regedit"), navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AVAST Software\Avast\PRIVATE and check if you have a key named AutoLoginMasterKey there? You may need to disable Avast self-defense module in Avast's settings (troubleshooting section) in case you get an access error.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 01:47:45 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have an update. I found the bug thanks to info you provided. I'll prepare a fix and release it ASAP (hopefully Monday if things go smooth).

Sorry for trouble,
Dan

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:34 PM »
Was the fix released? How do we get it and how do we install? Password (that doesn't exist) is required to update.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 09:52:57 PM »
Hi Remelejb,

The fix for the above mentioned issue was not yet released as we are waiting for some other fixes from other teams so we can release it in one bundle. The update process is automatic. However, if your Avast Antivirus requires a password when you try to update it, then you should head to Avast AV section. This is forum for "Avast Passwords" product/component, the password manager.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:54:44 PM by Daniel Hustava »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »
I meant that in Windows "Apps and Features", when I try to Update or Uninstall Avast, it asks for a password. I tried to do that to see if an update was available. I've never set a password and it's also asking me for one to:

-Run Smart Scan
-Go to Settings
-Turn Shields Off
-Create a custom scan
Etc...

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »
Yeah, thats something I won't be able to help you with as I don't deal with core Avast Antivirus. Try to ask here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Dan

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:21 PM »
I am having the same problem too...can someone please help...i access my passwords on avast all the time...I love this program feature!  but now suddenly (after a recent update) I am locked out because it requires a master password that I never set up...I really do NOT want to have to uninstall this feature and lose all of my date...please, please help!!!