Author Topic: 3-year old Norton AV finds virus after IE critical update  (Read 16668 times)

Ogw

Re:3-year old Norton AV finds virus after IE critical update
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2004, 08:01:38 PM »
you do know the most ;) anyway F-Secure has the best unknown virus detection rate to my knowledge

hello mr. macintosh! do you have more information about these ratings?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 12:06:58 AM »
on tests F-Secure does usually rank the higest. Because it has 3 scan engines  instead of 1.
F-Secure AVP
F-Secure Libria (formerly known as F-Prot)
F-Secure Orion ( Only for detecting new viruses)

3 engines are great but it takes a lot of RAM to load these.
And F-secure is not that easy to configure. and of corse for home users its $56.90  :ofor the first year $38 for every year after that :o

avast is free and detects all in the wild viruses
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 12:16:23 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

MoNkey1574

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2004, 06:57:38 PM »
Hi guys, i'm new here.

I am posting in this 2 week old topic because Technical has seemed to kinda breezed over my problem. I downloaded Avast and without knowing to remove Norton. When it had finished installing it asked to restart now so i did, and now once the desktop comes up, it loads ok and everything but then whenever I try to open a program or go to start it just freezes up and i can not click anything. Also when it first boots up there is a little flash by the start button. I don't know what to do because I can't do anything on my computer so I am using my dad's as of now. If anyone could reply fast it would be greatly appreciated because I have a science project due tomorrow and finals this week and I need my computer.      Alright thanks.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 06:57:53 PM by MoNkey1574 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2004, 07:39:49 PM »
You didn't say anything about your OS, avast! version, etc...

Anyway, if you want to uninstall avast! (to be able to do something, should it be uninstalling norton or doing your work without avast) - isn't it possible to do in Safe Mode?

MoNkey1574

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2004, 07:47:55 PM »
oh i'm sorry i have Windows XP and i cant remember waht version i got. i haven teven registered for avast cuz just a few minutes ago i started it up and it asked for the regisration key and ten froze. safe mode is F4 right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2004, 08:00:34 PM »
Hi guys, i'm new here.

I am posting in this 2 week old topic because Technical has seemed to kinda breezed over my problem. I downloaded Avast and without knowing to remove Norton. When it had finished installing it asked to restart now so i did, and now once the desktop comes up, it loads ok and everything but then whenever I try to open a program or go to start it just freezes up and i can not click anything. Also when it first boots up there is a little flash by the start button. I don't know what to do because I can't do anything on my computer so I am using my dad's as of now. If anyone could reply fast it would be greatly appreciated because I have a science project due tomorrow and finals this week and I need my computer.      Alright thanks.

I'm trying but today it will be quite difficult and I'm leaving for my vacations soon. Can you restore your system to an earlier point? Which is your OS (Windows)? Right now, what do you have, only avast! installed?  :-\

I'll be back here in two or three hours... Hope I can help  :-*
The best things in life are free.

MoNkey1574

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2004, 08:17:04 PM »
yay, i am on my computer right now. i used safe mode (F8) and restored it to last friday. thank you guys so much.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2004, 08:24:16 PM »
yay, i am on my computer right now. i used safe mode (F8) and restored it to last friday. thank you guys so much.  ;D

Do you need more help to get rid from Norton?
Is avast! installed?

Happy you are living again  ;D
The best things in life are free.