Author Topic: unable to install "avast_free_mac_security_online" on Mac 10.6  (Read 2828 times)

REDACTED

Hi,
i tried to install  "avast_free_mac_security_online.dmg" on Mac 10.6.8.
The installer downloaded half a GB of virus-files and at the end requested a CD/DVD !
I do not have a CD and have to terminate this installation.
This installation is not complete but i have all the files in the system !
Afterwards i installed "avast_security.dmg". This works correct - but what's about the files of my first try ?
Where are they located ?
And how to remove them ?

Kind regards
Nakamura

Offline jakub.bednar

• Avast team
Re: unable to install "avast_free_mac_security_online" on Mac 10.6
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:06:34 AM »
Hello Mr. Nakamura,

the downloaded files from your first try are stored in /tmp folder (a temporary location).
Your second installation attempt should have used them or override them. If you want
to be 100% sure, then a reboot should purge the entire /tmp folder.

I would also like to inform you, that we are no longer releasing program updates for macOS 10.6.
Your scanning engine and virus definitions are still being updated, so you do not need to worry.
On the other hand you are not receiving our latest features and bug fixes. If it is at all possible for you,
I suggest you upgrade your macOS. We are supporting systems from 10.9 upwards and I believe
that Apple supports systems 10.11+ so you might be missing some security fixes from Apple as well.

Best regards,

Jakub

REDACTED

Re: unable to install "avast_free_mac_security_online" on Mac 10.6
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:47:42 AM »
Hello Jacub,

it is important for me to see that i get a real quick answer and support nevertheless of a free program version  :)

Ok, /tmp seems to be cleared and has only a few kb rest.
The actual database is located in "Application Support/Avast" - right ?

I know these argumentation to update to a newer OS-X version very well - but i've an home studio with douzends of perfect working music programs and they fit well together !

I spent weeks with newer OS's and tried to bring them here to work with with existing software - finaly with the result of a lot of trouble and issues…… !!
To purchase all these well running stuff new ??
Thanks a lot !
That costs me thousands of Euros !

As a little hint : under 10.6 Snow Leopard it is possible to play my hundreds of MIDI files with only hitting the space bar.
Under 10.9 Apple removed this VERY USEFUL feature.
I have to start Quick Time or other programs - again and again. Afterwards i have douzends of Quick Time launches run.
It makes me crasy & fool if i want to scan throughout a lot of MIDI's quickly.
Do you see my point of view ?

Kind regards - and thank you again for your help
Nakamura