Author Topic: Unusual pop-ups supposedly from Avast!  (Read 3133 times)

grampa

Unusual pop-ups supposedly from Avast!
« on: July 06, 2006, 03:49:37 AM »

About a week ago, while in Mexico, this appeared on my screen.  I am very reluctant to click on unfamiliar pop-ups, so I took a screenshot, logged on to avast.com to update the database, was informed that the VPS was already updated.  The pop-up appeared two or three additional times, then did not re-appear after I returned home (U.S.) from Mexico.

Today a similar pop-up appeared saying, "An error has occurred while trying to update the VPS, please click here to try again," or words to that effect.  Are these valid AVAST notifications?  If so, what may be causing them?

mauserme

Re: Unusual pop-ups supposedly from Avast!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »
Hi grampa - welcome to the forum.

That does appear to be an avast! notification that your VPS was out of date.  The database changed from 0623-3 to 0627-0 on July 3, 2006 though, so not quite a week ago.

One possible cause is if you have updates set for manual.  In this case you will receive notification of an update only.  You can change to automatic updates in the settings and, in this case, you will get a blue slider box indicating that an update has occured.

There are many potential reasons for the error while trying to update but if it only happened once I wouldn't worry.  Probably just a bad internet connection.

Steele

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 05:14:21 AM »
Yes indeed those are genuine notification being produced by Avast. If you click on it, it will go away much faster and also show you a more detailed window of what's wrong.
They are not to be confused with inappropriate pop-ups you may come across on the web. ;)

grampa

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 05:19:25 AM »
OK, thanks guys - I'll try the manual update again and see if that tells me any more.  Sorry to be such an alarmist. 

mauserme

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 05:31:32 AM »
Sorry to be such an alarmist. 

Not at all.  If everone would stop and question things before clicking there would be a lot fewer infected computers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 02:37:06 PM »
OK, thanks guys - I'll try the manual update again and see if that tells me any more.  Sorry to be such an alarmist. 

More importantly, is your Program Settings, Update (Basic), set to update automatically ?
If so then we have to investigate why that failed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 10:39:12 AM »
You may also want to check the system time/date of your computer (whether it's set correctly).