Author Topic: Setup not working  (Read 7374 times)

alecmcq

Setup not working
« on: July 05, 2006, 02:50:20 AM »
Hi
I have downloaded the sw, tried to install it, rebooted, and the Avast icons appear briefly in the tray, then they disappear!!

When I click on the Avast menu or desktop programmes, it tells me that the target file cannot be found.

I have reviewed a few of the strings on this forum and tried to use the McAfee Uninstaller, but I could not get that to install either! I have searched for viruscan files and I cannot find any.

Don't know where to go next..... HELP!!!!!
Cheers
Alec

ardvark

Re: Setup not working
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 03:13:35 AM »
Hi alecmcq...

I'm assuming you attempted to uninstall McAfee Antivirus first, so is the "uninstaller" you're speaking of the removal tool?

What version of Windows are you using?

Best Regards...

alecmcq

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 03:26:00 AM »
Windows XP Professional.

I cannot find any trace of McAfee on this PC, but I think it is possible that it could have been on here at some point in the past. The McAfee Uninstaller that I referred to was a CA programme referred to elsewhere on this forum as an aid to get rid of McAfee. My problem looked similar to problem being described, so I thought it worth trying to see if it fixed it.

Any help or suggestions you can provide would be very welcome!!
Cheers
Alec

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 03:40:46 AM »
Hi alecmcq...

You might first want to run an online scan of your system to make sure you're not infected with something. Try here...

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

You can also run a system file check using the command "chkdsk /r" by clicking on "run" in the start menu. Make sure you have your XP disk if you do this.

Please let us know the results.

Best Regards...

alecmcq

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:30:10 AM »
WoW, there is something wrong big time with this machine. I have tried the 2 websites that you suggested. The first was unavailable, then the 2nd found lots of worms, but when I tried to fix them, IE crashed.

I then have then tried to use 2 different magazine freebie antivirus sw, and each time the installation failed.

Is there some viruses/worms that somehow stop antivirus software being installed?????????

Alec

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 07:41:58 AM »
Hi alecmcq...

Yikes!  ::)

Yes, I'm sure there are viruses specifically written, as part of their payload, to disable and/or prevent antivirus software from either installing or detecting and deleting it. However, I can't give you any specific names. I've seen the same symptoms before with other systems.

I think your next step would be to download a copy of Hijack This (HJT) here...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Then, after running the program, submit the log at the site below...

http://www.castlecops.com/

Please be sure to follow their instructions carefully. You will need to register to be able to post.

If this doesn't help and unless I am forgetting other methods, you're probably looking at reformating your hard drive and reinstalling your copy of XP.  :(

Keep us posted...

alecmcq

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 03:32:53 AM »
I have now removed all of the reported worms, and I re-installed Avast, and although it took a little longer this time, the same problem occurred. The spinning avast globes were in the tray for 30 secs, and then they dispappeared, and when I try to get the programme via the start menu, it says the target of the shortcut is not there.

Very weird. Any other suggestions on why this would be happening?
Cheers
Alec

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 03:57:40 AM »
Hi alecmcq...

Hmmm....how did you remove the infections? It looks like they're still in business.  ;)

If you attempt to install the two AV's from your magazine CD, do you still get the same install errors?

Best Regards...

alecmcq

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:00:39 AM »
I ran the online scanner, then manually deleted the files it brought up, then rescanned, and zero result.

The issue seems to be that the file ashavast.exe is somehow being deleted by something. That is the file that is the target of the start menu item, and I assume that this is the main exe file of avast. Is this right?

When I install, I have quickly gone to the avast directory to look for the asavast.exe file and the files seem to jump ie it looks like a file is being removed before I can see it!!

I am going to get to the bottom of this.

By the way, I am currently running ashsimp2.exe, which seems to be a simple interface version of avast, and this seems to be working. So I am scanning my whole PC to see if avast can pick any more viruses.
Cheers
Alec

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 06:57:37 AM »
Hi alecmcq...

I still recommend downloading Hijack This and submitting a log to Castlecops. I can't verify whether or not the virus(es) is still in your system but it may require quite a procedure rooting it out. Nothing should be disabling or removing ashavast.exe!

Let us know how it turns out.

Best Regards...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
I have now removed all of the reported worms, and I re-installed Avast, and although it took a little longer this time, the same problem occurred. The spinning avast globes were in the tray for 30 secs, and then they dispappeared, and when I try to get the programme via the start menu, it says the target of the shortcut is not there.

Very weird. Any other suggestions on why this would be happening?

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
What avast processes are running in the windows Task Manager, they start with ash or asw ?

As a temporary measure you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alecmcq

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 12:57:29 AM »
DavidR, Ardvark
Thanks for your suggestions. Here is an update (still not fixed):

1. I have run hijackthis and saved the log file.
2. I looked at the instructions that they want me to go through before logging the file and it looks very involved. I will do it, but I need to clear some time to do it. It looks to me that it will take some hours to do.
3. In the meantime, I copied the file ashavast.exe (from another PC I have that is running avast fine) to the avast4 directory, and this time I saw it magically disappear before my eyes. There is definitely something that is seeing that file and choosing to delete it.
4. I have looked for the ashdisp.exe in the avast4 directory and it is not there either. I think that it is being deleted by whatever it is as well.
5. I did have other antivirus software on this PC before and I think that I got rid of it, but maybe I didn't get rid of all of it. However, I can't see anything in the running processes that is antivirus software. I assume that there would be a running process if there was some old antivirus software running?
6. I will need to reboot and re-install avast again to see what avast processes are running (there are none now). I think when I looked previously there were a couple running, but I will check and post again.
7. One process that is (was, as I stopped it) running is hidn1.exe. I have no idea what this is and my sense tells me that this is a virus/worm or whatever. I cannot find any reference to this file when I search the hard disk. Do you know what this might be? However, after stopping the process, the ashavast.exe file still disappears when I copy it into the avast4 diry, so I guess this isn't the problem.

Thanks for your help. I would love to find out what is causing this. I really believe in avast, and I want to use it!
Cheers
Alec

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 01:08:00 AM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alecmcq

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 04:40:00 AM »
Guys
Problem solved. THANKS VERY MUCHLY!!!!

It clearly was the hidn1.exe, as when I ran the suggested fix, Avast has worked smoothly since then. On the avast initial scan, there were a lot of other stuff removed as well!

Looking good at the moment.

Thanks for your help and interest. It is guys like you who make the world a better place!
Cheers
Alec

ardvark

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 06:37:31 AM »
Hi alecmcq...

Glad we could help and that you got your system back up and running!  :)