Author Topic: avast 4.1 home / several mail providers  (Read 12318 times)

Olav

avast 4.1 home / several mail providers
« on: January 05, 2004, 01:17:34 PM »
Hi all and a happy New Year!

I'm using avast 4.1.319 / home version, both for web browsing and mailing.
I have two different mail providers, but I don't know how to configure avast in the appropriate way - and I don't know if my home version is supporting this feature at all ;-)
The default settings in my mail program (pegasus mail, using POP3 and SMTP) for the first provider I changed according the avast recommendations (1. mail program settings for POP3 and SMTP -> 127.0.0.1, username is adapted, too; 2. in the avast.ini, section "mail scanner" I specified my provider as the default one) and it works fine (since more than one year already I think!), but I have no idea how two add a second provider.

I'd appreciate any help, hint or information!
Thank you in advance!

Olav

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:avast 4.1 home / several mail providers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 01:24:18 PM »
You may ask for Walker's help. He knows almost everything about Pegasus Mail. Oh, techie101 could help you too. Why don't you send them an IM?
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 02:00:05 PM »
Hi Olav, welcome to the forum,

I love Technical, he lifts everyone to great heights and then drops them in it  8)<only joking, he's a gem>  ;D

Quick answer.. there's nothing strange about adding a provider (ISP y/n?). Just create your new/second 'identity' in Pegasus and do exactly as you did with the first provider ie pop/smtp through the localhost (127 etc) and username <olav#newisp>. Leave the avast.ini file alone (for now).

I'll be back on the forum later if you get stuck, there's always lots of other good advice if I'm not here.

Let us know how it goes/any problems.

Good luck.
W.

Walker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 02:18:52 PM »

PS: You obviously will have to create the new pop and smtp definitions in Pegasus. Remember to select the new definitions for the new identity that you set up. Pegasus defaults (if I remember) to using the first set.

Let us know how it goes.
W.

Olav

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 05:23:08 PM »
Hi!

Thanks Walker!

After a new start with re-installation of pmail and setting up both mail accounts again it's running when I use the following ugly workaround ;-) :
After rebooting I can't send or receive ANY mail, independent which account I try to use. But when I run avast's "Mail Protection Wizard" again choosing the following options
-> Set up the protection manually
-> I don't use Outlook
-> Shutdown Service
-> Select All Accounts
-> some default settings ...
-> Restart Service

I'm able to send and receive mails on both accounts - until I restart my pc.
Is it possible that the service mentioned in avast's protection wizard is not started properly in this case?
Well, I'm using Win98 SE, maybe ...

Thank you!

Olav

Walker

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 05:48:55 PM »
Olav,

Sorry it has to be quick again (until later), I'm on my way out.

Ignore the Mail Protection Wizard with Pegasus. I know the help files say's it works.. but it doesn't.. at least with the lataest version of Pegasus.

Set everything up manually.

Back later.

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »
After a new start with re-installation of pmail and setting up both mail accounts again it's running when I use the following ugly workaround ;-) :
After rebooting I can't send or receive ANY mail, independent which account I try to use. But when I run avast's "Mail Protection Wizard" again, I'm able to send and receive mails on both accounts - until I restart my pc.
Is it possible that the service mentioned in avast's protection wizard is not started properly in this case?
Well, I'm using Win98 SE, maybe ...
Thank you!
Olav

Olav, I cannot run Pmail even before or after the MPW... Walker, someday, will help me on this too. By now, I go back to OE.  :-\

Walker

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 10:28:09 PM »
Olav, sorry for the delay. I should've stayed on the forum.. it's blooming freezing on a motorbike this time of year  :o  ;)

So where are we?. I can't understand why shutting down and re-booting is affecting Pegasus.! Is this still happening?.

You mentioned that you have had Peg and Avast working for sometime with your original provider Y/N?.

What I personally do when setting up a new 'identity'/'provider' is to get it functioning first, ie before attempting to pump it through the localhost and Avast. Have you done/ tried this?, did/does it work like this?.

As you have used Peg/Avast for sometime, you probably already know.. the info about 'manual configuration' in Avast's help file is spot on the money. Forget all about the Mail Protection Wizard, it doesn't work for Peg latest version.. I believe Avast (Alwil) are working on it.

Any help :)/still problems :'(?

W.

Olav

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 02:51:41 PM »
Hi!

Again thanx to Walker!

The current state is:
If I don't use Avast Internet Mail Protection, both of my mail accounts are working.
If I setup a mail protection with Avast's Mail Protection Wizard as explained above, still both mail accounts are working properly. But after rebooting NONE of my accounts is working. I get the following peg error message:
"The POP3 server you have specified in your Network Configuration settings has returned an error code indicating that it does not recognize the username you have supplied ('my_login#pop3.freenet.de').Please go into your Network Configuration screen and correct the username you have entered then try again."

"my_login" was inserted in pegs configuration by me, the add-on "#pop3.freenet.de" was done by avast ...

If I change my settings in peg by replacing the "Avast Proxy Server Address 127.0.0.1" with the corresponding POP3 / SMTP hosts of my providers (pop3.freenet.de + mx.freenet.de for my first provider, pop3.web.de + smtp.web.de for my second provider) and adjust the user names by removing the "#<host>", it's working again (in this case without antivirus protection for sure ;-) ). Or if I run Avast's MPW again as described above it's working until the next reboot of my pc.

So for me it looks like some Avast problem, not one of peg ... Although I don't know what is stopped and started again with Avast's MPW ... that's not my world ;) Although I'd like to know!

I'd appreciate any hints, comments and information!!
Thanx in advance!

regards
Olav

Walker

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 04:39:49 PM »
Hi Olav,

It is not unusual for me not to see the tree's for the wood 8) (English saying).

I get the impression that you know what your doing with Pegasus, but I'll throw the following in so that we are understanding each other.

I use Pegasus version 4.12a (the latest), I'm assuming you are to. However I say again, please try this without using Avast's 'Mail Protection Wizard'. It doesn't work with this version of Pegasus.

So, let's go through the Pegasus config in 'Pegasus language':-

1 'Become' the 'identity' that you want to change.

2. Tools -> Internet Options -> Receiving (POP3)

Here you see any pop definition that you have already assinged to the current 'identity' and you can choose to Edit that definition or Add another.

Let's say this is your new identity (new provider).

3. Click 'Add' and you will get a list of all the Pop3 definitions that you have so far created.

4. Click 'New' and enter your details

Name: <Olav's second isp> or whatever.
   Server host name: 127.0.0.1
   User name: <olavsusername#secondisp>
   Password: <xxxxxx>
   TCP/IP port: 110

5. Click OK and you are taken back to the 'list' of pop definitions and the one you have just created should be listed.

6. Highlight the 'new' definition (the one just created) and choose 'Select'.

You will now be back at the Internet Mail Options window. You should have more than one Pop3 definition in the window

7. Highlight any that you are not going to use with this identity (all except the one you have just created (<Olav's second isp>)) and click 'remove' (you are not deleting it, only unassigning it to the current identity) then click OK.

Go through the same proceedure for the SMTP definition (natuarally using smtp details, port 25 etc).

Now as I said, I'm sure you already knew all of that, it was just for clarification and to practice my typing skills!  ::)

The next bit is taken straight from the Avast help file under the Manual setting of mail protection section:-

Open avast4.ini file in Notepad editor. You will find this file in the folder Data in your avast! installation folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\avast4\Data.
Find the section named [MailScanner]. Write these lines into this section (if they already exist, change them):
DefaultSmtpServer=smtp.server.com
DefaultPopServer=pop.server.com
DefaultImapServer=imap.server.com (only if you are using IMAP server for incoming mail).
Replace smtp.server.com by the address of the SMTP server you are using, e.g. smtp.tiscali.com. Do the same for POP (and IMAP) server (e.g. pop3.tiscali.com).
If your e-mail program supports SMTP authentication, and also makes it possible to set a different login name for SMTP than for POP, insert the line: UseDefaultSmtp=0.
If your e-mail program does not support SMTP authentication, insert the line: UseDefaultSmtp=1.
Save the changes and close the Notepad editor.

Here is a copy of exactly what I have in the Avast4.ini file and what is working for me with multiple providers:-

[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=pop3.terra.es
DefaultSmtpServer=mailhost.terra.es
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0
Log=20

Right.. the problem you mention about everything being fine until you shut down/re-boot is a little more confusing. I take it that Avast is starting properly and automatically during boot up?. Have you got the latest version of Avast?. Have you tried re-installing Avast?

Please don't dissapear, this is interesting and I'm sure we'll get it working.

Let us know if any of this gives you any ideas and PLEASE stop using the Mail Protection Wizard (for now).

Walker.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 10:57:10 PM »
Walker, I promise after my vacation I'll try Pegasus Mail again... Specially after this 'full' support you give here in this forum  8)

Olav

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 01:31:33 PM »
Hello Walker,

sorry for being away for a so long time ... I've not in the range of my 98 pc for the last couple of days ...

But thank you very much for your post! I was using pegasus version 4.02, since using 4.12a it's running ...

When installing peg 4.02 you can choose if you want to set it up for several users - that was what I did, and this installation using several users is obviously behaving different than peg 4.12a using several identities ...

From my point of view this problem can be closed - are you interested in some kind of "further investigation" of that peg 4.02 / reboot / avast service restart problem? It happened with an older peg version, so I guess you're not interested, are you?

best regards
Olav

GeorgeR

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 04:49:55 AM »
Olav, I don't know how much help this will be, but when I installed Avast Home4 on Win98, mail programs OE and Netscape, I had problems with constant prompts for password, and a thing I had never seen before, a black screen which popped up every time the modem tried to dial-in, screen called"Pre-Dial Terminal Screen."  After some suggestions on this Forum, I finally went back in to the Internet Connection Wizard In Win98 (not Avast) and re-configured my internet connection.  I deleted "127.0.01" and replaced with my Pop3 server (in my case, host.warwick.net) and the annoying black screen went away, and both mail programs were fine.  No guarantee, but maybe worth a try. Good luck, George

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 12:20:57 PM »
Hello Walker,

sorry for being away for a so long time ... I've not in the range of my 98 pc for the last couple of days ...

But thank you very much for your post! I was using pegasus version 4.02, since using 4.12a it's running ...

When installing peg 4.02 you can choose if you want to set it up for several users - that was what I did, and this installation using several users is obviously behaving different than peg 4.12a using several identities ...

From my point of view this problem can be closed - are you interested in some kind of "further investigation" of that peg 4.02 / reboot / avast service restart problem? It happened with an older peg version, so I guess you're not interested, are you?

best regards
Olav

We are very sorry for Walker... He seems to go away from the forums (can you see the left side of his posts...)  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 12:26:09 PM »
Olav, I don't know how much help this will be, but when I installed Avast Home4 on Win98, mail programs OE and Netscape, I had problems with constant prompts for password, and a thing I had never seen before, a black screen which popped up every time the modem tried to dial-in, screen called"Pre-Dial Terminal Screen."  After some suggestions on this Forum, I finally went back in to the Internet Connection Wizard In Win98 (not Avast) and re-configured my internet connection.  I deleted "127.0.01" and replaced with my Pop3 server (in my case, host.warwick.net) and the annoying black screen went away, and both mail programs were fine.  No guarantee, but maybe worth a try. Good luck, George

George, the 127.0.0.1 server is your localhost (own computer) and it is necessary for you to be protected by avast!
avast! will use it in inbound and/or outbound email checking. They must be there or you won't be protected  :'(