Author Topic: URL: blacklist - how can I remove an address from such "blacklist"?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline tomamar

Hello All, I am getting annoyed by Avast apparently having a list of sites which have no other issue than Avast not liking them, hence putting them on a "blacklist". When accessing such pages from my cellphone (which does not use any antivirus SW), they work fine and do not seem to present any harm (compared to the time when they were not blacklisted by Avast, i.e. I do not see any reason why they should be blacklisted from a security standpoint). Actually, for a long time, "blacklist" seems to be the only "threat" that Avast secures, i.e. it seems it has more work with censoring my internet access than with securing it.

Is there a way how to go around it? I do not like Avast to censor my internet access. At the same time, I've been using Avast for quite some time and do not want to switch to another SW if this issue can be solved.

Bonus question: is the blacklist available, ideally with rules on how you get on it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: URL: blacklist - how can I remove an address from such "blacklist"?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 03:00:13 PM »
Quote from: tomamar
I am getting annoyed by Avast apparently having a list of sites which have no other issue than Avast not liking them, hence putting them on a "blacklist".

Avast only block a site if it is infected/malicious/suspect/ not because it doesn't like them.

With zero information on what is being blocked it is impossible to suggest what to do.
If it is a site what is the domain name, don't make it an active link to prevent accidental exposure (no http or https etc).  Better still attach an image of the alert window with the Details option selected.

- Attaching Images to your post - When you Click the Reply button it opens a text window for you to post your comment (reply or post).
Click the Preview button, that shows what you have input and expands it to include 'Attachments and other options'. Click that it further expands, here you can attach images, etc. at the bottom of your post.
See my attached image, click to expand.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline tomamar

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 03:18:45 PM »
"Avast only block a site if it is infected/malicious/suspect/ not because it doesn't like them."

That is not true. The site is not opened at all, Avast does not check the site at all - it aborts the connection becase the site is on a blacklist.

The details in the Avast window are like this:
We've safely aborted connection on www.SITE.cz because it was infected with URL: Blacklist. (tomamar: what kind of infection is that?)
Threat name: URL: Blacklist
Threat type: Miscellaneous - this is malicious software that could harm your data, computer or network. (tomamar: sorry, this does not add up at all)

How could avast detect a "malicious software" called "URL: Blacklist" when it does not even allow to open the web? It simply makes no sense and based on the behavior and lack of other info, I suspect Avast from keeping a blacklist and censoring my internet access based on it. I may of course change my mind if you can clarify what SW is "URL: Blacklist" and how does Avast know this is on the site even before Chrome has a chance to access it.

EDIT: one extra piece of info - the error that Chrome gives is the standard

This site can’t be reached The connection was reset.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

I.e. Avast is in the way of Chrome reaching to a site. IMHO very different from a situation where I am browsing an infected page which is something Avast would detect when the page is being loaded. Not when it blocks Chrome from reaching it (i.e. nothing is loaded and examined by Avast, it simply works as a censor).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 03:25:30 PM by tomamar »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 04:04:29 PM »
because it was infected with = just a standard text on the security pop-up
URL:Blacklist = means the url is on a blacklist for whatever reason, can be many

If you think it is wrong, then report it to avast lab
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14433.msg1289438#msg1289438

Offline tomamar

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 08:55:19 AM »
Pondus: thanks for confirmation that Avast is censoring internet access for its users and that it has no relation to security.

I do not see a point in submitting pages to a forum for Avast to "reconsider" (will they? When? I would like to access a page now, not "maybe sometimes in the future if and when Avast decides it is OK for me to do so"). I would like to be able to either manage the blacklist or be at least able to create whitelist exceptions. Is one of these options possible?

Also, can you provide more information what means "many reasons"? Are the rules somewhere available?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 12:19:06 PM »
This is done by autosystems so error do happen. If you report it as possible false positive they will fix it and may explain why in the reply