Author Topic: Avast Passwords Remembers My Card Details - Want To Delete But Can't Find Data  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Interista

Subject line pretty much sums up the problem. Avast Passwords is remembering my card details. I think this is exceptionally dangerous because if somebody hacked into one of my online accounts with the card on it they could clean me out. I want to completely delete this data. I don't mind it recalling the card number but it shouldn't have the number on the back of the card which it does. However, when I go into Avast Passwords all I can find is a record of usernames and passwords, I've tried looking at the cards tab but there is nothing there. I've deleted autofill several times in Chrome so it isn't that. How can I get rid of this data without deleting all the passwords it has saved because there are far too many to just begin again? Many thanks.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
Hi Interista,

What Avast version are you running? If you disable Avast Passwords extension in Chrome (via Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions, there should be a slider for disabling), does autofilling still happen?

I'm asking this because the same code is used to get CC data from vault to Avast UI as it used when getting it for the extension for autofill. Fact that you have no CCs stored in Avast Passwords according to Avast UI, leads me to believe that you have your CC saved in either Chrome or some other program for managing CCs that has its own extension in Chrome.

Dan

Offline Interista

If I disable the extension it doesn't happen.

I'm running product version: 18.5.2342

Another problem I have is I set a master password for Avast but I can't remember it. What should I do? Uninstall and reinstall? How do I do that without losing all the passwords which I recorded in the program?

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
If I disable the extension it doesn't happen.

I'm running product version: 18.5.2342

I'll consult this with colleague that deals with extension, as this behaviour is very weird. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

Another problem I have is I set a master password for Avast but I can't remember it. What should I do? Uninstall and reinstall? How do I do that without losing all the passwords which I recorded in the program?

If you are synchronising, then easiest way is to delete vault via settings (if vault is locked and you navigate to settings, there is "delete everything link") and then setup synchronisation again. In case you are not syncing, I'm afraid I can't help you. Its designed this way so no one, including us in Avast, can get into your vault without knowing the master password.

Dan

Offline Interista

Unfortunately I'm not synching. There is the option to download the password records as a CSV file. Would this help if I uninstalled and reinstalled?

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
Fastest way to do this following:
- do a chrome csv export
- import that csv to chrome
- wipe Passwords vault (by locking it and using "delete all data" option in settings) and setup a new one
- import passwords from chrome
- delete passwords from chrome (either via chrome UI or by deleting file that chrome uses to store passwords)

Dan