Author Topic: WinXP Home SP2 gets error 42000 on scan  (Read 8409 times)

devnull

Re: [UPDATE] WinXP Home SP2 gets error 42000 on scan
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 03:34:58 PM »
I've finally found time to play around a little more with my Error 40000 problem.

First, some perhaps pertainent information that I neglected to mention the first time around:

I get the Error 42000 when I attempt to run the scan from an account with Admin authority.

Now for the testing results:

1. I switched to an non-Admin (Limited) account and double clicked the Avast icon on the Desktop. The scans (both memory and full HD) ran to completion witout the Error 42000.

Switched back to the Admin account and tried the following:

2. Full scan (by clicking on the Avast! desktop icon) - got Error 42000.

I ran the following tests by changing to the Avast4 directory and double clicking the individual programs (as Admin):

3. ashAvast.exe - gor Error 42000

4. ashSimp2.exe - scan ran without error

5. ashSimpl.exe - scan ran without error (GUIwise, ashSimpl.exe looks like ashAvast.exe but without the memory test. The difference seems to be that ashSimpl.exe runs and ashAvast.exe gets the Error 40000 immediately for both the memory and HD scans.)

So, the problem seems to be with the Admin account and with ashAvast.exe. This brings up a couple of questiions:

1. Am I the only person in the world having this problem?

2. If not, do the developers intend to address this problem?

3. If I run the scans in a Limited account and there is a virus detected, will I be able to take the necessary actions to quarantine the virus the same as if I gad been running as Admin?

Sorry for the length of this post.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: WinXP Home SP2 gets error 42000 on scan
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 06:11:39 PM »
Thanks for your in-depth analysis.

Please try the following. Open the program settings, go to the Troubleshooting page and check the box "Disable kernel-mode scanning". Restart the machine, and see if it has any effect.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 06:20:17 PM »
I'm missing some information that could be crucial. Under what account did you install avast?
Was this under the limited account or under a account with admin rights?

devnull

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 03:49:33 PM »
Thanks for your in-depth analysis.

Please try the following. Open the program settings, go to the Troubleshooting page and check the box "Disable kernel-mode scanning". Restart the machine, and see if it has any effect.

Thanks
Vlk

Vlk,

Tried your suggestion. This time the box asking me to wait while it tested memory and startup processes remained on the screen. I never got the Error 42000, but the "tests" didn't complete, either. I couldn't tell if it was really doing anything, but I let it run for approx. 12 minutes. I then tried to cancel via the "Stop memory tests" button. Nothing happened. Hit the button a few more times. Still nothing. I finally terminated the ashAvast process via the Task Manager.

I then reversed your suggestion, rebooted and the Error 42000 is back.

Please let me know if you can think of anything else to try.

devnull

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 03:51:43 PM »
I'm missing some information that could be crucial. Under what account did you install avast?
Was this under the limited account or under a account with admin rights?

You're right, I originally didn't include that piece of information. But check out Reply 15.