Author Topic: Avast Premier causing disconnects from home Synology NAS  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Dasty

Avast Premier causing disconnects from home Synology NAS
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:48:18 AM »
I upgraded three Windows 10 PCs from Avast AV Free to Avast Premier.   That was done over several days.  Along the way I began to notice that these machines were randomly disconnecting from our home NAS.  They would only reconnect after a reboot, and even that was uncertain.  Other machines that I hadn't upgraded continued to have rock-solid NAS connections.

It took a while to suspect Avast Premier, of course.  But finally, after one disconnect caused a major backup problem, I uninstalled Premier from that machine - which immediately restored its connection to the NAS.

The NAS is a Synology DiskStation DS216+II, with current updates.

==>  SO:  Avast Premier has a problem with Synology DiskStation.

[Incidentally, the Premier uninstall left 1839 dead files, and the Driver Updater app.  I know it's hard for a tiny firm to code a proper uninstaller... Maybe if I buy Avast Cleanup it will remove all that junk.]

[ALSO - having to solve repeated almost unreadable captchas to even post on this forum is REALLY ANNOYING]

Are you trying to drive customers away??

Offline merckxist

Re: Avast Premier causing disconnects from home Synology NAS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 12:08:29 AM »
I also have a local Synology DS216+II (DSM 6.2-23739-1, but I've not upgraded to Avast Premier. Same experience as you with Avast Free, no connectivity issues.

If you are thinking about using Avast Cleanup, you might want to look around the forum a bit, as others have reported suffering unintended consequences from its use. I haven't tried it myself, but it seems to be included even with Free, so not sure why you expect you'd need to buy it.

The captchas should go away after your third time in.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Dasty

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:59 PM »
Naah... can't be bothered to troubleshoot Avast products for them.  I see now in earlier threads that they've been told, and told, and told; and many people have sent in series of logs.

I'll just go elsewhere.  MBAM gives me no problems.

{So far three tries with this captcha... another reason I won't be back unless forced to...}