Author Topic: A few questions from a Avast! virgin  (Read 8129 times)

B-77

A few questions from a Avast! virgin
« on: January 08, 2004, 06:14:30 PM »
Hey all

Hope you can help me.

I just uninstalled my AntiVir in favour of avast! However there is a  problem I hope you guys are willing to help me out with.

I seem to have some trouble with the e-mail scanner. When I first configured avast! a small icon came up when I opened my email program (Mozilla) indicating that avast! was checking my e-mails. However for some reason avast! had changed my mailserver name and my smtp server name into something I couldn't recognise. This meant, of course, that Mozilla asked me for a password for servers that I don't use. When I re-configured my email settings in Mozilla it worked again, but it seems avast! has stopped checking my e-mails. At least when I asked avast! to include a small message of the email being virusfree into the scanned emails, it did not do this.

Best regards,
B-77

bbfi

Re:A few questions from a Avast! virgin
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 07:37:25 PM »
B-77,

Welcome to the Avast forum.   :D

Please check out this post http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2141;start=msg14870#msg14870.  In the post, some descriptions of how to make sure Avast is checking the emails are listed.   ::)

If this does not help, then your configuration might be wrong and we'll try to help you with that.   ;)

Ogw

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 07:47:51 PM »
i thought that avast change this configurations automatically through a program called "Mail Protection Wizard". i think nothing is wrong with your new smtp and pop3 addresses (127.0.0.1), this is the localhost and the av application needs to change for scanning the emails i suppose  ::)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 08:14:15 PM »
as Ogw said, avast changes the server setting to 127.0.0.1..
so the mail server settings should be like the following:
Server name: 127.0.0.1
username: username#mail.company.com
you could run avast mail protection wizard again to protect you mail a/c again...
MW

B-77

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 08:24:27 PM »
>bbfi: Neither of the parametres are present for me. I dont have the little blue icon, nor does the emails I receive have any indication that they have been scanned my avast!

>minacross and Ogw: You are exactly right about the changes. My problem however was that the changes made by avast! made mozilla ask for the password for my smtp-server. This I dont have and I have never been asked for it by Mozilla or any other email-client before. Any ideas for solutoin?

Best regards
B-77

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 08:42:49 PM »
could you post a snap shot ?  ::)
ok, you may try checking the option ' user pw manager to remember this pw' as in the attached pic..
also make sure that SMTP mail setting are set to

server: 127.0.0.1
username: username#isp (not isp#isp as it happened with me once and I could not send any e-mails)  ::)
MW

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 08:43:56 PM »
this dialog is what I am talking about..
MW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 11:05:07 PM »
B-77, do you succeed? or you need more help with SMTP authentication... Everything should be fine at this time. If you need help, just let we know.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

B-77

Thanks!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 03:16:46 PM »
Hey minacross & co

Thanks for your help. I just made avast! check my inbound mail through my imap-server and left out the smtp-server. I couldn't muster the energy to figure out what my password is for the smtp-server. As long as I check my inbound mail there shouldn't be any major risks in not checking my outbound mail.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes
B-77

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 06:57:44 PM »
ur welcome..  ;D
Glad it works  :)
MW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Thanks!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 07:26:41 PM »
Hey minacross & co

Thanks for your help. I just made avast! check my inbound mail through my imap-server and left out the smtp-server. I couldn't muster the energy to figure out what my password is for the smtp-server. As long as I check my inbound mail there shouldn't be any major risks in not checking my outbound mail.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes
B-77

B-77, the smpt-server password is the same as for the pop3, or better, you can let if blank and check for 'reminder the password'. avast! will use the pop3 password in the place of smtp. Just try.
If you want to recover your password, there are some links here at section 'Password'. Good luck.
The best things in life are free.