Author Topic: can't stop av from blocking critical program  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Dave263

can't stop av from blocking critical program
« on: July 03, 2018, 08:27:40 PM »
One of my workstations has an executable that Avast blocks EVERY SINGLE TIME it's run.  FOR MONTHS.  No matter how many different ways I add an exception for this program, Avast still blocks it.  It's part of a long startup procedure for a complicated application, so the user has to launch it, wait for avast to block it, tell it to allow it, by which point the application has given up waiting for the program to start, wait for the application to error out and unload, then launch it again. 

I've added exclusions for this file and entire directory in the Settings Template every place I can - File Shield->Customize->Exclusions; Behavior Shield->Customize->Exclusions; Antivirus Settings->Exclusions.... and it never helps.

How the $&*@#%$#@*& do I get Avast to stop hassling this program?

REDACTED

Re: can't stop av from blocking critical program
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
The executable might be depending on files in other locations that you aren't excluding and you might have to exclude a higher parent directory tree.

As a workaround, you could try creating a new template with the behavior shield disabled and put only that machine against the template. 

It almost sounds like the machine is not applying the template from the cloud correctly and so the exclusion is being ignored.  Applying a different template might help show that.  If that doesn't work a clean reinstall of Avast might help.