Author Topic: i never set a master password  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
Re: i never set a master password
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
Hi mamabright1,

I got word from Release Engineering that the fix should go finally out in an hour. Sorry for delays, this fix was bundled with fixes for other parts of Avast

However, this doesn't fix the main problem. You don't know the master password. You might argue that you never set one, but you did even tho it might been as far as years ago. I know because application logs I have from ppl from this thread don't lie. Why this is a problem? Because if you accidentally lock your vault, either from application or via extension, it's over. I won't be able to help you get your data back.

I strongly advice to anyone affected by this issue and is not synchronising to take the time and
  • Do a chrome csv export of your passwords
  • Import them to chrome
  • Lock the vault, wipe it via settings and set it up again
  • Import passwords from chrome
  • Delete passwords from chrome

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 12:58:26 PM »
Fix for this issue was released, you should get it after next restart

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
thank you for your help, Daniel

I shut down my computer and restarted it opened avast and looked for an update and it says I'm running the current update which shows 6/20/18 and it is still requiring a master password?  can you tell me how to get the update?

also...how do I'm synchronizing or not?  and if I'm not, can I?  and if not, where do I go to create a chrome csv export file?

thanks again for your help!  :-)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:57:48 PM by mamabright1 »

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 05:08:52 PM »
The fix was released via µUpdate. You won't see it in the application settings's update section. To check if the µUpdate was properly applied, open registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\AVAST Software\Avast. There should be a key named UpdateVersion and its value should be 366 or higher.

If the value is lower, then you can speed up the process by running AvEmUpdate.exe from c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\, waiting for a while and doing a restart. If you still don't have 366 after this, then something went horribly wrong and I'd recommend doing a repair installation of Avast.

Dan

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 05:25:15 PM »
Synchronisation is the thing you use when you want to use Avast Passwords on multiple devices (windows, mac, iOs and android are supported). Changes you do on one device is synchronised to others. Basically, if you only used Avast Passwords on one device, then you most likely didn't have synchronisation set up.

As for export, you can do a chrome format CSV export from Passwords' settings (Export section). However you need unlocked vault for that. Anyway, if you are still stuck with "enter master password" screen, but have fix applied, then the bug this fix fixed was not your problem after all and I'm afraid I can't help you.

This fix will help people that had master password set up in the past and but unchecked all checkboxes in settings' Auto-lock section. That means their vault appeared as it was "never locked" (from technical viewpoint that was never the case, but thats not important). 18.5 update broke this, so ppl got prompt to enter master password. After these ppl get the above mentioned fix, their vault should be automatically unlocked like before.

Offline Bob229

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
When it rains it pours, had to restore my system since I started getting the blue screen of death yesterday.  At same time, I got locked out of passwords  (never set a master password) been reading through this thread, and my update version is up 386.  The system restore is holding but still have no access to Avast password?  Suggestions?