Author Topic: How to run a scan  (Read 2163 times)

Alex45

How to run a scan
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:34:56 AM »
Hello, I have just installed the free version 4.7  and it picked up lots of viruses.
What I don't understand is how to actually start a scan manually....??
I can see Start is greyed out and has been running for 40 mins, but don't know how to start a full scan manually.
Many thanks

mauserme

Re: How to run a scan
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:27:29 AM »
Hi Alex - welcome to the forum,

If I'm guessing correctly you clicked the avast! a-icon in your system tray (or right clicked the avast! a-icon and  chose On-Access Protection Control) and highlighted Standard Shield.  If I'm correct close that window and do this instead.

Right click the avast! icon in the system tray, then click Start avast! Antivirus.  This will open the program and you will see the user interface after a memory check is performed.

If this is a new installation, right click within the interface, choose Schedule Boot-Time Scan, and click Schedule.  You will be prompted to reboot.  When you do avast! will scan your drive(s) before Windows loads.  This will take a while to complete.  If you have USB keyboard post again prior to doing the boot scan.

The "normal" scans can be done from the same interface.  Simply click the Local Drives icon at the upper right, choose the sensitivity from slider that pops up, and click the start button at the left. 

A standard scan is usually sufficient but again, on a new installation or if malware was present, you could set it to Thorough and check the Scan Archives Files box.  This will do a very deep scan but will probably take a long time (overnight on my computer).

Hope this helps.

Alex45

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 10:21:24 AM »
Thanks very much mauserme..

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »
you're welcome...