Author Topic: Wots... uh, the Deal?  (Read 4574 times)

No Way

Wots... uh, the Deal?
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:04:10 AM »
So, Wots... uh, the Deal?
Sometimes, my computer's performance gets incredibly choppy, and I monitored the program usage during one of these incidents, and at the top was ashserv.exe. I was wondering why this process keeps it choppy?

And sorry about putting this in the wrong board... oops... :P :P

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Wots... uh, the Deal?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 12:57:29 AM »
ashServ.exe is the main scanning engine and when it is scanning it uses CPU cycles, it is also High priority so it can complete quickly hand hand back to other programs.

The trick is to find out why and what is it scanning when your system is choppy as you put it ?
What are you doing when this happens browsing, downloading, p2p, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

No Way

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 01:10:16 AM »
Usually P2P.

No Way

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 01:13:37 AM »
For example, right now, I'm P2Ping about 10 KB/s and it's choppy, and I have a 1 GB RAM and DSL (broadband).

On my toolbar, the A for Avast turns about 3/4 the way around, then the computer just completely pauses for a couple seconds. The Green bar for the Task Manager is completely blank for awhile, then, for about a millisecond after the pause, it's completely green.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:21:05 AM by No Way »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 02:11:06 AM »
Whilst P2Ping you are obviously going to have a lot of scanning going on, your either downloading multiple files or say a large iso, etc.

What is your p2p program ?

I suggest a forums search for the p2p application you are using and see if anyone else is experiencing this and if so what they did to resolve it. Sorry I don't use a p2p program so I can't offer much help in that respect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:04:09 PM »
Hello NoWay,

If you're into P2P, you know you have a lot of legit and non-legit leechers at your tail.
They even launch "fake" torrents now-a-days to demotivate certain forms of P2P-ing,
so you're best helped with a block-list manager, and all that is blocked will not haunch your CPU,  go here: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php
And here is the faq, monsieur: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?autocom=faq&CODE=02&qid=30

polonus

« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 02:30:04 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

No Way

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 08:45:16 PM »
Hello NoWay,

If you're into P2P, you know you have a lot of legit and non-legit leechers at your tail.
They even launch "fake" torrents now-a-days to demotivate certain forms of P2P-ing...

I noticed. ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 08:57:27 PM »
Hi No Way,

And this also keeps your clicking safe for ye: http://www.prevx.com/ Small anglo-american firm with a bunch of 35 security guys and gals that can even keep CWS at bay. A thing that all the hjt witch doctors and shamans in the world could not accomplish (they would be Ddos-ed into oblivion, even if they tried). They block it even when it is reaching out its gripy tentacles at you.
A good script blocker is a big aid too. Well think security, and you will certainly stay malware free.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!