Consumer Products > Avast Secure Browser for Windows

Avast Secure Browser refuses to be closed using Task Manager.

(1/4) > >>

REDACTED:
While it was installed without my consent, I still like Avast Browser, however during past week or so, I came across couple annoyances and few rage inducing issues. This post is for that rage inducing experience.

I believe that being unable to forcibly close an application is huge no no. Personally, I got so frustrated that I reconsidered having this browser installed on my computer. When you try to close Avast Browser via Task Manager using "End Process Tree", while in "Processes" tab,... you get an error message saying "The Operation could not be completed. Access is Denied.".

This is frustrating beyond belief, first of all, why i'm not allowed to be in control of my own computer?! Secondly, why is this a problem you ask?
When Avast Browser becomes unresponsive - I mean stops to a complete halt (even if you wait 30min. nothing happens) - your computer is completely frozen.

* Browser can not be turned off using traditional classics such as "Alt + F4" or "X" in the corner of the screen.
* Task manager is also of no help if you're in Applications Tab.
* The only hope left is Processes Tab and ending the Browser processes themselves - however some "genius" thought it was a good idea to disable that.

As a result there is only one option left - yes, it is to cut the power for the computer. Brilliant, ehh? There is nothing better than to loose all your unsaved work :)

Ok, how did my crash happen? In YouTube comments section. If you open enough comments (we're talking hundreds), by opening more and more you slowly notice the performance of Avast Browser dropping faster than f(x)=1/x , when x approaches 0. And if you open enough comments, Browser performance crashes just like mathematics, when you put x=0 into that function.
Huge amount of tabs may have played the role in this incident. We're talking ~70 tabs. I'm not sure yet about it yet, but I had the exact same crash at ~20 tab mark.

I use windows 7 SP1. I have 8 GB of RAM. I didn't have any other RAM or performance hungry applications running at those times. Avast, give me control back! Also your Captcha is almost unreadable - had to request new one 18 times, wth?

bob3160:
Please don't start new topic all over the place.
No problem here closing the Browser via Task manager even though it's a lot simpler to simply close the browser
via the X in the upper right corner.

REDACTED:

--- Quote from: bob3160 on July 20, 2018, 12:11:00 AM ---Please don't start new topic all over the place.
No problem here closing the Browser via Task manager even though it's a lot simpler to simply close the browser
via the X in the upper right corner.

--- End quote ---

You didn't read the topic at all.

I dedicated an entire topic to explain why your proposal wouldn't work.

This problem arises when Browser freezes, and when I need to kill the process. Because that's my only option during those circumstances.

REDACTED:

--- Quote from: bob3160 on July 20, 2018, 12:11:00 AM ---No problem here closing the Browser via Task manager.

--- End quote ---

I can't kill the Avast Browser Process even now (The way i described it in the post). So there clearly is a problem - I even wrote the error it gives me in starting post that you didn't read. And I need to kill that process that way, because that's my only option when Browser becomes unresponsive - other methods don't work.

DavidR:
Trying to kill Avast Processes using the task manager is likely to fail as the Avast Self-Defence Module will be trying to protect avast processes, presumably including the Avast Secure Browser.

You would have to disable the self-defence module from the AvastUI > Settings > Troubleshooting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version