Author Topic: End of support for Windows XP/Vista  (Read 283134 times)

Offline INGBEAN

Re: End of support for Windows XP/Vista
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2019, 12:50:19 AM »
Hi, we plan to update the XP version only in urgent security cases. Maybe once, twice per year..
Thanks for your very interesting information.

It would be nice that the so called final version (excluding any urgent security cases) for XP/Vista was bullet proof, e.g. no reported issues.
+1  :)

INGBEAN
Notebook A: DELL Inspiron 8000 | Pentium III (800 MHz) | 512 MB RAM | Win 2000 Pro (SP4+UR1) | avast! Free V7.0.1474
Notebook B: MAXDATA Pro 700T | Pentium III (800 MHz) | 256 MB RAM | Win 2000 Pro (SP4+UR1) | avast! Free V8.0.1497
Notebook: DELL LATITUDE E6530 | i7-3540M (3 GHz) | 4 GB RAM | Win 7 Pro (SP1, 64bit) | avast! Free V8.0.1497

Offline ceculicec

« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2019, 11:47:46 PM »
Hi,

MartinZ, thank you for the links for the versions which could be used on the XP.

However, I think that I have previously made some problem, and the links I have clicked (the first line in the first passage and the second into the second) will not work. Actually, I have downloaded the latest free version, not checking before whether it will work on my operative system (XP), which will not work. Even more, after the "installation" from the links you provided I see everything as the newest version.

Moreover, since my windows is recently reinstalled, after all of these trouble I have discovered that I already have some very old installation version on my disc (the blue icon) but it does not want to install it as well.

Should  I mention that I have also tried to delete these files (of the recently installed/downloaded avast), but I receive something like that they are connected to the system and that they could not be deleted. I suppose that if I want to succeed in this operation, I should have do download the program for this purpose (avast uninstaller or something like that)?

May I ask you to help me to resolve this problem (or anybody else from)?

Thanks a lot in advance
Ceculia

Offline =Snake=

• Still using Avast Free!
  • Maybe Bot
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »
Yes we will create specific link of full offline installer of lastest version for XP/Vista and publish it here on forum.

Can someone investigate problems that I have experienced CPU Spikes by AvastSvc.exe on updates after 18.5.2342.

So much so I have had to reinstall so for me having access to the latest version of avast isn't great if it isn't bullet proof and have to roll back/reinstall an earlier build, 18.5.2342.

It was running in my XP and win10 systems and whilst it didn't use any CPU activity, AvastSvc.exe was in my case (winXP system) using a lot of CPU.  This only seemed to appear after the 18.6 version and someone posted that they believe it was associated to the behaviour shield.  If this is the case then the behaviour shield would be under the control of the main avast service, AvastSvc.exe and that was what

I'm not having this issue on my win10 system, unsecapp.exe is running but I'm not experiencing cpu spikes by AvastSvc.exe.

This is why I went back to avast version 18.5.2342, no unsecapp.exe running and so fare no cpu spikes by AvastSvc.exe.
And I couldn't leave the version 18.5.2342 on my machines because even that version didn't recognize my router right (caused by nw-scans).

So I had to roll back to version 2015.10.4.2233!
Desktops: AMD LE1620, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | IP-4, XP pro SP3[x86] | Intel Celeron, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | AMD-Athlon 1800+, XP pro SP3, [x86] in WL |
Laptops:   HP G72 , W10 Home [x64]  v22H2 (Build 19045.2728) | Acer Aspire ES1-131, W10 Home [x64] v1511 (Build 10586.1106)|
Firefox ESR [AOS,NS,uBO,uMatrix],Thunderbird,MCShield,CCleaner,Defraggler,MBAM Free,MBAE, Avast Free Antivirus|

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2019, 11:15:34 AM »
Yes we will create specific link of full offline installer of lastest version for XP/Vista and publish it here on forum.

Can someone investigate problems that I have experienced CPU Spikes by AvastSvc.exe on updates after 18.5.2342.

So much so I have had to reinstall so for me having access to the latest version of avast isn't great if it isn't bullet proof and have to roll back/reinstall an earlier build, 18.5.2342.

It was running in my XP and win10 systems and whilst it didn't use any CPU activity, AvastSvc.exe was in my case (winXP system) using a lot of CPU.  This only seemed to appear after the 18.6 version and someone posted that they believe it was associated to the behaviour shield.  If this is the case then the behaviour shield would be under the control of the main avast service, AvastSvc.exe and that was what

I'm not having this issue on my win10 system, unsecapp.exe is running but I'm not experiencing cpu spikes by AvastSvc.exe.

This is why I went back to avast version 18.5.2342, no unsecapp.exe running and so fare no cpu spikes by AvastSvc.exe.
And I couldn't leave the version 18.5.2342 on my machines because even that version didn't recognize my router right (caused by nw-scans).

The silence on this has been deafening.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline =Snake=

• Maybe Bot
« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »

The silence on this has been deafening.

Therefore I'm very sorry about, but I have only few time (doc is waiting...)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:10:38 PM by =Snake= »
Desktops: AMD LE1620, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | IP-4, XP pro SP3[x86] | Intel Celeron, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | AMD-Athlon 1800+, XP pro SP3, [x86] in WL |
Laptops:   HP G72 , W10 Home [x64]  v22H2 (Build 19045.2728) | Acer Aspire ES1-131, W10 Home [x64] v1511 (Build 10586.1106)|
Firefox ESR [AOS,NS,uBO,uMatrix],Thunderbird,MCShield,CCleaner,Defraggler,MBAM Free,MBAE, Avast Free Antivirus|

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
Hi,

MartinZ, thank you for the links for the versions which could be used on the XP.

However, I think that I have previously made some problem, and the links I have clicked (the first line in the first passage and the second into the second) will not work. Actually, I have downloaded the latest free version, not checking before whether it will work on my operative system (XP), which will not work. Even more, after the "installation" from the links you provided I see everything as the newest version.

Moreover, since my windows is recently reinstalled, after all of these trouble I have discovered that I already have some very old installation version on my disc (the blue icon) but it does not want to install it as well.

Should  I mention that I have also tried to delete these files (of the recently installed/downloaded avast), but I receive something like that they are connected to the system and that they could not be deleted. I suppose that if I want to succeed in this operation, I should have do download the program for this purpose (avast uninstaller or something like that)?

May I ask you to help me to resolve this problem (or anybody else from)?

Thanks a lot in advance
Ceculia

Please try to uninstall the old version via avast clear https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Uninstall-Antivirus.
Afterwards try to install Avast again via the offline installer.

Offline titti2

« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2019, 12:14:18 PM »
Goodmorning at all!
I need a help.

I have a old notebook that doesn't support SSE2. On this PC the operating system is WXP PRO SP3. I have a administrator account.
On this PC I have avast free antivirus 10.4.2233.
Since some weeks I see that the older definitions are not deleted. The updatind at new definitions is OK.
So, I have a lot of hard disk memory waste due to the older virus definitions.

What's happen?

I have tried to manually deleted the older definitions but I don't be able to do this.

Is there anyone that could give me a help?

Thanks to all!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ceculicec

« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »
Hi,

MartinZ,

Thank you very much

Ceculia

Please try to uninstall the old version via avast clear https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Uninstall-Antivirus.
Afterwards try to install Avast again via the offline installer.

Offline =Snake=

• Maybe Bot
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »
Hi,

last week I wanted to controll my 'mini' laptop (acer Aspire 1, see my sig) by using Windows search. Clicking 'For Files or Folders', I got a error message "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup."
All of a sudden, that function was gone off. I don't know what to do, for the laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive! Who can help?

Edit: All that doesn't matter, for that small thing refused to boot. It's over.

=Snake=
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:02:16 PM by =Snake= »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
@Snake.
From your Edit it is unclear whether you fixed the problem or gave up?
Also, this thread is related to WinXP, but see from your signature that your Acer Aspire has Win10?

Offline =Snake=

• Maybe Bot
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »
@Snake.
1. From your Edit it is unclear whether you fixed the problem or gave up?
2. Also, this thread is related to WinXP, but see from your signature that your Acer Aspire has Win10?
1: If you had read my sig earlier, you would have known, that I had 2 acer laptops! The small one 'acer Aspire 1' is gone, so I deleted it, for there was nothing to fix.
Is still s.th. unclear?
2: Right, but I have other machines with XP, too.

Offline barcellat

« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2019, 10:01:35 PM »
Hi, see: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=225811.0

THANKS Asyn !!!
I have solved the problem.
I have done the following steps:
1) unistall the avast with avastclear10r4.exe utility
2) I reboot the pc in safe mode using the network (seems that if I reboot the pc in safe mode without the network attached doesn 't function..)
3) start the CCleaner for delete old registry values inherent to avast
4) install the last version of avast functionning with old pc NO SSE2 (10.4.2233)
5) update the virus definitions

&) finally, when I restart the pc the old definitions folders go away!

Thanks again

T

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2019, 05:14:23 AM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline XP Bro

« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2019, 10:46:25 PM »
Old thread I know but just had my Avast break down when I allowed it to upgrade the program file on my soon to be retired XP Pro machine.

After it downloaded and installed the update it restarted the PC and came up with this error message.

"AvastUI.exe
The procedure entry point _basGetTempFile@8 could not be located in the dynamic link library ashBase.dll"

It was still a version 18 update and said Ver. 18.8.2356 so I'm hoping it's fixable.

I used the link to get the XP safe version online and it said it was installing but nothing happened after it finished downloading the program.  I got the link on my PC first then used that to get the install but nada.  No further instructions and no Avast running. :(

I just bought a nice used PC from a local shop for $250.  Water cooled MSI gaming pro MB with lots of bells and whistles and a fresh install of Win10 Pro ver. 1903.  After trying to fix all the privacy leaks and get rid of Bing and Edge I gave up and spent two days installing a very old, pre-SP1 version of Win7 on a 2nd hard drive.  Not easy when USB wouldn't work and I had to dig up an old PS1 keyboard and do everything mouseless but running great now!  I'll be 65 soon so hoping Win7 outlives me. lol

Now to get Avast on it and this time I'm buying the full version!

Peace

PS:  Those verification letters are damn near impossible to see and I am human.  I think. ;)