Author Topic: How Long Does It Take?  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Nicholas93

How Long Does It Take?
« on: July 20, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
My question: How long should it take to receive the "backup identity" email from Avast? Can anyone confirm whether that email has been sent to me?

Details: I have Avast Passwords configured on my PC as part of the Avast Free Antivirus and am trying to sync it with the newly installed Avast Passwords on my android. After turning on Sync & Backup on my PC, the window pops up saying "Your passwords are now synchronizing" and nothing ever happens. Exiting out of the popup, the program asks me to approve from another deice using a code. From the instructions I've read, it seems since I don't already have another synced device I should use the email Avast sent regarding "backup identity". I don't have that email and am certain it didn't get deleted or sent to spam.

When I first turned on Sync & Backup I was prompted for login. I used my Google account and expected the email to be sent to the address I provided.

I also tried doing it in reverse order and logged in to Avast Passwords on my android using the same Google account. When I tried to active Sync & Backup it give me a code, but there is no prompt to enter a code on the PC version.

All of the similar threads with this issue seem to involve the person deleting their "backup" email, whereas I haven't received one.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
Re: How Long Does It Take?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 11:10:19 PM »
Hi Nicolas,

If you used the same email for logging into id.avast.com as you used for this forums, the then Backup Identity was mailed to you at Oct 28, 2017 11:57:01 PM. This must have been the first time you used this account as I also see it was set up together with a Windows device. Rest of the devices were added recently.

Dan

Offline Nicholas93

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 02:46:54 AM »
I never tried to set up the Sync component before today, but must have triggered the email back then while poking around with the various components. At the time I must have thought I would never need it and deleted it. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »
I can wipe the data so you can have a fresh start if you want.

Dan

Offline Nicholas93

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 02:37:43 AM »
I think I want you to do that. Can you clarify what is involved in that? I take it that once you've done that, I'll create a new account, receive the email I needed, and import my passwords from the csv file?

Thanks

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »
You won't need to create a new account. The wipe will just delete all Passwords related data (saved passwords, credit cards, notes) from our servers, so for you it will appear as you are setting up synchronisation for a first time.

Dan

Offline Nicholas93

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 06:18:22 AM »
Alright, please go ahead with that.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 07:22:26 AM »
Hi Nicholas,

It is done.

Dan

Offline Nicholas93

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 11:50:13 PM »
Update: I don't know why it took so long, but it is finally working and I successfully synced with my android too.

Dan, the wipe you did worked. I followed the instructions on this page, https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Synchronize-Passwords-across-devices, but got stuck on step 5 of Synchronize the first device. I've had the same screen as shown in the attached screenshot for an hour.

If it matters, at step 4 I logged in using my Google account and did receive the backup identity email.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:52:39 AM by Nicholas93 »