Author Topic: [solved] how to backup my server config if I can't install a 2nd server  (Read 4510 times)

vpxavier

Dear support,
I'm using the corporate standard suite.
I installed many clients from an ADNM server.
1)Could you tell me how to backup my server config if I can't install a second server?
2)If my server crashes, how do I reinstall the server?
Thanks for your help,
Xavier
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 08:25:10 AM by vpxavier »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
1)Could you tell me how to backup my server config if I can't install a second server?

You need to create a backup of the server database. We recommend doing this periodically (I think there's even a weekly schedule for this by default - see the Scheduler folder).

Unfortunately, the current version of ADNM has a bug that prevents the backup from running successfully (in most cases). We'll be releasing an updated version of ADNM during this weekend -- all you need to do is update to it.

2)If my server crashes, how do I reinstall the server?

You can just reinstall the whole thing and then, restore the backed up database.

That's all it takes.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

vpxavier

Hello,
i've tried to backup my setting using the default "database backup" task.

When using a "local" folder for the backup, it is working fine.
But when using a network location, like \\server\folder\subfolder, it fails.

Is it one of the known bugs or do I make soemthing wrong?
Thanks for your feedback,
Xavier

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
When using a "local" folder for the backup, it is working fine.
But when using a network location, like \\server\folder\subfolder, it fails.

This is because the MSSQL service runs, by default, under the LocalSystem account. This account has unlimited access to the local machine - but no access to the network (at least on the NetBIOS level).

This is even documented in the MS SQL documentation, please see e.g. here http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179313.aspx (section "Backing Up to a File on a Network Share").

To make backing up to a remote share work, you should change the log on settings of the "MSSQL$AVAST" service. Use a domain account that has local admin rights and write access to the network share you want the backup to be written to (restart of the service will be required for the changes to become effective).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

vpxavier

Thanks for your feedback, it now works perfectly!  ;D