Author Topic: Sinking or Syncing problem !  (Read 4134 times)

Offline russell.fancourt

Sinking or Syncing problem !
« on: July 23, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »
Hi

I have been using Avast Passwords successfully on my PC for some time now.  I have now been trying to sync it with my laptop but can't seem to get past the first step.

I start on the PC and follow the procedure Privacy>Passwords>Settings>Sync & backup ... and then log into my Avast account.  The next screen tells me that my passwords are now syncing.

The next screen "Please approve from another synchronised device" has 3 steps.  The last step asks me to verify a code ... but there is no code showing on either device ?

Any clues as to what I should be doing ?

Thank you

Russell

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
Re: Sinking or Syncing problem !
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
Hi Russell,

All you need to do is to go to the PC and in Passwords>Settings>Sync & backup section you should see 2 devices now, the PC and the laptop. There should be a green "Approve" button next to the laptop. If you click it, thats it, you should see you passwords synced on both devices.

Dan

Offline russell.fancourt

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »
Hi Dan

Thank you trying to help me.  It is probably me but when I follow through your advice I cannot see two devices or any green "Approve" button.  The "Please approve from another synchronised device" screen is still there and the only green button is labelled "Refresh This Screen"

Russell

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 11:43:02 AM »
Yeah, on laptop thats correct, it waits till its approved. The approval process is done via other device, in your case

I have been using Avast Passwords successfully on my PC for some time now.

If the PC you mention is in some other location and you can't get to it / RDP to it, you use the self-authorisation email. You should have received it on Sep 21, 2017 10:37:36 PM.

Dan

Offline russell.fancourt

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:05:46 PM »
Hi Dan

I have got both devices in front of me.   Both are showing the same "Please approve from another synchronised device" screen.   There isn't any sign of a sync request on the laptop or on the PC  Shouldn't I be seeing a code somewhere ? 

Russell

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »
I see it now. So according to data I have available, it seems that you set up synchronisation for a first time on you laptop back in September 2017. After that the laptop must have had synchronisation disabled or entire windows reinstalled, because I see 2 entries for the laptop, one from 2017 and one from today.

So, now how to fix it. There are 2 options that depend on whether you want the saved passwords you had on you laptop back in 2017.

- If no, then its simple. At your request, I'll wipe all the synchronisation data for russell.fancourt@googlemail.com and you will be able to start the whole synchronisation process again (so the first device you add to it will be automatically approved and you will then use it to approve second device)

- If yes, then you need to use the self-approval email that you received on 21 September 2017 when you set up sync for a first time.

Dan

Offline russell.fancourt

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
Hi Dan

OK .. let's go for the easy option - please wipe all the sync data so that I can start again.

Russell

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
Hi Russell,

It's done.

Dan

Offline russell.fancourt

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »
Absolutely brilliant !  Its all working now .. thank you so very much, you have made my day !

Russell

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 12:59:37 AM »
I am having a very similar issue trying to sync my passwords between my laptop and my android phone.  Do I need to do the same thing?  on my phone, when I click sync and back-up I do get a verification code.  On my laptop  I use Avast Premier and under the password sync link, I see authorize from another synchronized device.  Where do I approve?  Very confused.

Offline Daniel Hustava

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »
Hi Kenneth,

I see that you have trusted android phone (samsung), so in your case, all you need to do is approve your laptop from it. I don't see your laptop in waiting-for-approval state though. Did you cancel the synchronisation? Are you connecting to same MyAvast account?

Dan

Offline michael1047

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »
Hi Daniel

Can you please wipe all the data for michael@johnwattsfarms.co.uk as well please

Cheers

Michael