Author Topic: False Positive?  (Read 15229 times)

lava1

Re: False Positive?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 01:48:38 PM »
Rajor I delete the worm dose that mean I have to reinstall FireFox and Thunderbird over again sorry to ask this stupid question and if so how would I reinstall it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:50:56 PM by lava1 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 02:05:28 PM »
Just install it over. Settings and user files will remain while it will fix the missing files you've deleted. Nothing special or hard to do ;)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

lava1

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 02:15:39 PM »
Thank you Rejor but I deleted the worm and I was just wondering do I have to reinstall it and where do I find it to reinstall it from .  When the thing was detacted my roomate deleted the worm.  So I was wondering do I need to reinstall the file in both Firefox and Thunderbird or will the update still update. When I checked both to see if there was a update.  It said no updates at this time it will check priocally for new updates so that is why I am wondering what we need to know.  Sorry that I don't understand what you mean.   Thanks.  I just know what you mean about stting and user files and it will fix the missing file

WDGC

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
- Vps: Updated
  (previous version: 0628-0, updated version: 0628-1)

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\updater.exe not detected by this latest Vps update.

WDGC

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 02:30:49 PM »
...  but I deleted the worm ...

It wasn't a worm - the detection was a "false positive".

As RejZoR said, just reinstall Firefox and Thunderbird - as if starting from scratch - and updater.exe will be back where it should be.

It might pay you to read the avast! Help Files and remember to use the virus chest if you are again confronted with a detection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 02:35:30 PM »
False positive, for sure  :P
The best things in life are free.

lava1

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 02:39:13 PM »
 I understand that there is a new update VPS 628-1 but my roomate did the VPS 628-0
and he did not move it to the chest so I was wondering that he said to delete all dose that mean do I have reinstall Firefox and Thunderbird over or will the update in FireFox and Thunderbird still work when there is a new update for them.   If dosen't work where do I get the fix for the update for FireFox and Thunderbird.   I check my program files it still shows the Update file  and the updater pictures in there.  So my question will FireFox and Thunderbird still Update when there is a new version (exampe 1t shows it is still 1.5.0.4 will it still update to 1.5.0.5 when there is a new one.)  I am new to this and don't know that much and learning still and if dosen't update it to it where do I go to install one or do I have install everything new.  Thank you where both older people and don't know what to do.  I just went to download it and they said the same virus has been detected that is why I am asking.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:46:06 PM by lava1 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 02:54:17 PM »
Just install over it... www.mozilla.com

lava1

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 02:58:16 PM »
Thanks Rejor I went to web page when I went to install it warned me about the virus still coming up.  So what do I do.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 03:07:25 PM »
Thanks Rejor I went to web page when I went to install it warned me about the virus still coming up.  So what do I do.
Download the setup file.
Disconnect from Internet.
Add the false positive files to the Standard Shield Exception list.
Install Firefox/Thunderbird without fear.
Wait for a virus database update, change your avast settings back.
The best things in life are free.

lava1

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 03:16:03 PM »
Thanks Tech,

But I am sorry to be so stupid I don't how to do that.   And I do see that there is a new one there 628-1 maybe I should do that manually.    I am sorry to sound like a broken record but we just deleted the worm the folders are still there and when I click on the Help In FireFox and Thunderbird it says there is no updates now but will check preodically so because it saying that I was wondering do I still need to update those programs.  Thanks sorry to be a bother :-[

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 03:41:06 PM »
Just make sure avast! is fully updated (VPS). This false positive is already fixed.

psadi

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 03:59:34 PM »
Lava1

If you downloaded FireFox from mozilla.com and installed it then yo uhave the latest version and there is no updates available.

The way you see that the file updater.exe was removed is that in FireFox help menu the check for updates (or how its set in english  ::) ) are grey and you cant cklick it. If you can click and check for updates in FireFox then you are OK as far as FireFox is concerned.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 04:01:37 PM »
but I deleted the worm ......
<Snip>

Take this a a valuable lesson, never delete as a first option it doesn't leave you with any options. If you move it to the chest on detection and investigate, if you find it is an FP then you can simply restore the file from the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

siemi

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 11:13:31 PM »
can anyone figure it out..
I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.0.4,  a couple of days back I noticed that all attachment like *.doc *.xls got changed to *.bin *.dat after they were sent to a recipient.. Avast scan found Win32:Sality-W in updater.exe file, but couldn't remove it. Currently none of the virus scanners, including avast, can find anything... however the problem still exist.. :(
any idea what's up ???