Author Topic: System Process high CPU while copying files.  (Read 25308 times)

Saturn49

Re: System Process high CPU while copying files.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 05:49:29 PM »
You can test this without a network, just by copying from c:\temp to \\localhost\c$\ or something.

That's why the CPU is so high on my test.  If you remember from the OP, an actual network transfer only spikes the CPU to around 60-80% w/ Avast, and only 15% or so w/o.

However, taking the network bottleneck out of the equation and just copying from a local drive to localhost, it uses the network layer, but doesn't actually go out on the network.  This makes the test easier to do and exacerbates the problem so it is more readily visible.

I'm thinking that Avast! is simply hooking into the server process, and even though the network shield is disabled, the hook is still there, and executing some bit of (inefficient) code in Avast! that appears under the System process.

I should also note that the CPU spike ONLY happens on the destination, not the source.  (so copying from \\localhost\c$ to c:\temp would NOT reproduce the issue.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 09:11:59 PM »
Well I tried that copying a 1.5GB file using a batch file (copy c:\temp\test.v2i \\localhost\c$\) so I could monitor task manager but it was so quick I knew it failed. So I put a pause in after the command and saw the error "The network path was not found 0 files copied."

Now I have many un-neccessary processes disabled including network DDE and network DDE DSDM, whether that has anythig to do with it but it would appear I'm unable to test it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jabsys

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 02:11:17 PM »
I had a similar issue today but, for me, it ended up being Avast scanning each time my PocketPC and PC synched when it was docked.

I solved it by excluding the directory of an app that had a desktop and pocketpc version as Avast was scanning whenever they synched and causing my pc to lock up temporarily.

An hour or so of that happening every few seconds was way too much.