Author Topic: Full Virus Scan/Smart Scan  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Spiritual2016

Full Virus Scan/Smart Scan
« on: July 31, 2018, 08:44:19 PM »
I am using Avast Free Anti-Virus.

1. If the screensaver comes on during a scan, does that affect the accuracy of the scan or are they unrelated?

2. Am I correct that all detection issues can be fixed by running a Full Virus Scan but certain Smart Scan detections require a paid license to resolve?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:13:08 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »
1. NO
2. NO

Avast used to have something called screensaver scan, don't know if it still have that feature?
Instead of shedule a scan you selected avast screensaver scan, then avast scan would start/stop when the screensaver start/stop.
If screensaver was interupted it would remember where it stopped and start from there, unless computer has been restarted

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
Pondus:

1. To be clear, the scan will continue without delay even when the screensaver starts and the scan will also continue without delay when the screensaver is stopped?

2. Does the Full Virus scan include the elements scanned in a Smart Scan (so running a SS after a FVS would be overkill) or are the FVS and SS independent scanners that should both be run?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:30:37 PM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:38:55 PM »
1. Yes

2. Applies to Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier, Avast Internet Security >> https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Run-Antivirus-Smart-Scan

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 11:12:42 PM »
Pondus:

This question relates to Avast Free Anti-Virus:

Does the Full Virus scan include the elements scanned in a Smart Scan (so running a SS after a FVS would be overkill) or are the FVS and SS independent scanners that should both be run?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 11:43:20 PM »
Personally I don't run on-demand scans outside of beta testing and I do very little of that now or in relation to a forum question.

- With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

Whilst the Smart Scan has some features that wouldn't be run on an on-demand scan (many of which require a paid function), that wouldn't happen in an on-demand scan.  The WiFi inspector being one.  There are other features that I don't consider security based so I don't feel they have a place in an AV.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »

- With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

+1
Definitely agree with DavidR.
On demand scans for the most part are really unnecessary

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 12:29:03 AM »
Pondus:

While I realize that the Avast Free Anti-Virus contains a built in on-access scanner, I still perform an on-demand Full-Virus Scan and Smart Scan.

1. Does the Full Virus scan include the elements scanned in a Smart Scan (so running a SS after a FVS would be overkill) or are the FVS and SS independent scanners that should both be run?

2. Are 'File Shield,' 'Behavior Shield,' 'Web Shield,' and 'Mail Shield' the on-access scanners?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:31:41 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »
  Does the Full Virus scan include the elements scanned in a Smart Scan 
NO, and smart scan in avast free will not have all the features ... you need to PAY, see FAQ link in my reply above

2. Are 'File Shield,' 'Behavior Shield,' 'Web Shield,' and 'Mail Shield' the on-access scanners?   
NO, they are part of Avast realtime protection

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:42:14 AM by Pondus »

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 12:40:57 AM »
I realize that Smart Scan does not have all the features that the paid version does but that is not what I am asking.

1. Since I prefer to run a Full Virus Scan and Smart Scan, should I run both or are the Smart Scan features built-into the Full Virus Scan?

2. Since FS, BS, WS, and MS are not on-access scanners, what is the OAS in the free version and how can I find its settings?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:45:24 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline Spiritual2016

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 12:52:09 AM »
I read the links but my specific questions are not answered.

I am an 80 year old female, I would appreciate it if you would just answer my questions directly instead of providing links:

1. Since I prefer to run a Full Virus Scan and Smart Scan, should I run both of them or are the Smart Scan features built-into the Full Virus Scan?

2. Since FS, BS, WS, and MS are not on-access scanners, what is the OAS in the free version and how can I find its settings?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:54:54 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 12:56:31 AM »
Problem is that you are never satisfied with the answer's given, and for evry answer you have 5 more questions

Your avast software is designed  to protect you after install without you doing anything more .... install and forget

Offline Spiritual2016

Full Virus Scan/Smart Scan
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 01:07:15 AM »
Pondus:

I understand that on-demand scanning is unnecessary because of on-access scanning.

Please read carefully: My 'preference' is to run a full virus scan and smart scan once a month.

1. Is the Smart Scan included in a full virus scan or do the Smart Scan and Full Virus Scan scan different areas.

2. Avast's real-time protection consists of 'File Shield,' 'Behavior Shield,' 'Web Shield,' and 'Mail Shield', all of which are considered on-access scanning?

If it is too much effort to answer these two Qs, please ignore and allow someone else to answer.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:14:19 AM by Spiritual2016 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Full Virus Scan/Smart Scan
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 01:56:26 AM »
NO, they are part of Avast realtime protection

on-access and real-time are one and the same, just a different term.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security