Author Topic: Font problem with avastgui  (Read 4248 times)

kovesp

Font problem with avastgui
« on: July 09, 2006, 11:10:18 PM »
When launching avastgui in a terminal I get a large number of the following message:

** (avastgui:19810): WARNING **: Couldn't load font "Tahoma 8" falling back to "Sans 8"

The result is that the GUI is displayed in such a small size that it is almost unreadable.

This is a Fedora Core 5 installation which is set to en_CA with hu_HU also configured.

Now I know that this is the fault of my font configuration. I also have similar font issues with emacs --- there it is so bad that it is unusable (blocks displayed instead of text).

I have search the net high and low for a solution, but have not found anything that works.

So I am just hoping that someone here can help.

Culpeper

Re: Font problem with avastgui
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:40:11 AM »
You seeing those messages as a result of using 'avastgui' from the terminal?  If so, it looks like you need more fonts installed with your OS.

kovesp

Re: Font problem with avastgui
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 01:58:36 AM »
Not that simple. In fact:

find /usr/share/fonts -name tahoma\*
/usr/share/fonts/webcore/tahomabd.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/webcore/tahoma.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts/tahomabd.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts/tahoma.ttf

Emacs can't find courier and helvetica, which are of course also there. So it's something else. One thing that I found strange, was that under /usr/shar/fonts there is no ISO8859-1 directory, altough there is a ISO8859-2 (which is the encoding used for Hungarian.