Author Topic: Google Drive File Stream - Exclusions  (Read 5473 times)

REDACTED

Google Drive File Stream - Exclusions
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:56:16 PM »
Hi, I would like to know how to edit exclusions on Avast free for Mac. I have a mounted google drive file stream, and the software automatically downloads all files on demand for scan. The total for the drive is more than 1 TB and my notebook only has 20 gb of space. Plus, I don't want to scan google drive!! Any way of editing exclusions? (if I check scan all my hard drive in Personalized Analysis, it has GoogleDrive mounted on /Volumes, so its not posible for me to scan all my hard drive without selecting the roots folders one by one). Thanks in advance!

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Google Drive File Stream - Exclusions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
Hello,

I assume you have problem while scanning? When starting a scan, there is a Settings link below the Start button where you can specify directories that are excluded from this type of scan. These are saved for the given user, so you only need to do it once, however it needs to be done for any scan type that you use to scan parent directory of google drive file stream volume.

We will consider excluding this directory automatically in one of the next releases.

Thank you for reporting this issue to us!

Kind reagards,
Ondrej Kolacek

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 01:20:27 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for you prompt answer.

I also noticed that the program (whether in real-time analysis or on demand analysis) scans the cache files of Google Drive in /Users/[NameofTheUser]/Library/Application Support/Google/DriveFS/ and sometimes it quarantines some presumable virus files, forcing a total synchronization of the Drive. That is happening currently on my computer and, as you may presume, it can take hours and lots of system resources. I am even thinking of disabling real time analysis because of this issue -when Google Drive resynchronizes it will download the "virus" (false positive) file again, forcing a new total synchronization, in an infinite loop-.

Thank you very much again, and I am glad this can help enhancing your software (one of the few free ones left, as I perceived).

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for you prompt answer.

I also noticed that the program (whether in real-time analysis or on demand analysis) scans the cache files of Google Drive in /Users/[NameofTheUser]/Library/Application Support/Google/DriveFS/ and sometimes it quarantines some presumable virus files, forcing a total synchronization of the Drive. That is happening currently on my computer and, as you may presume, it can take hours and lots of system resources. I am even thinking of disabling real time analysis because of this issue -when Google Drive resynchronizes it will download the "virus" (false positive) file again, forcing a new total synchronization, in an infinite loop-.

Thank you very much again, and I am glad this can help enhancing your software (one of the few free ones left, as I perceived).

Hello,

thanks for the info; the decision to auto quarantine infections is not really ideal and AFAIK in the new version of the GUI we will change it.
Regarding your problem, in GUI go to Chest and restore the file once; it should not be detected again afterwards.

Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek