Author Topic: File hosts changed to default after each reboot  (Read 1993 times)

REDACTED

File hosts changed to default after each reboot
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »
Hello
I've been using Avast products since a while on both phone and computer and I've been very satisfied so far, but there's this problem that I think is Avast related.

I checked on 3 PCs where I have installed Avast (with the latest update, however I've seen that a new one was released just 2 hours ago). I've seen that the one I use had the hosts file changed, and I noticed that it changes to default after every boot. So I ran both a full scan and a boot scan and nothing was found.
I was curious so I checked on the newer PC (which had no connection with the oldest one) and I've seen that it also had the same issue, but no problems at all after scanning. And guess what, the same issue with the 3rd PC!

I haven't had any issue with internet, so I believe that Avast somehow "protects" it from being changed, but I don't know honestly.

Huge thanks to anyone who is willing to help me with this issue!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: File hosts changed to default after each reboot
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:24:59 PM »
Avast's SelfDefense does protect Windows' hosts file, it only makes sure it is clean.

If any changes are detected in the host file, self defense (if enabled) should remove such lines automatically. This is why your host files change back to default and is intentional behaviour.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

Re: File hosts changed to default after each reboot
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:09:55 PM »
Avast's SelfDefense does protect Windows' hosts file, it only makes sure it is clean.

If any changes are detected in the host file, self defense (if enabled) should remove such lines automatically. This is why your host files change back to default and is intentional behaviour.
I checked if it was enabled, and indeed it was.
Thanks for the answer! One more reason to keep using Avast.
Again, thank you!