Author Topic: Adding a wireless computer to wired network  (Read 4141 times)

roro

Adding a wireless computer to wired network
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:42:23 AM »
I have 3 computers on a wired networked via a new wireleww Buffalo Router .  I  got a buffalo wireless card for the laptop, and want to be able to use it wireless also.  I started to use the Wireless network wizard, but was afraid I would lose the ability to connect to the network with the cable attached to the laptop. ???
I am a little antsy about changing anything as I wasn't able to connect the 3 computers for quite a while, and found out finally it was my Firewalls on each machine that was blocking them.  I now disconnect the Firewalls when I want to share files.

I have been reading a lot of stuff at About.com, but no one seems to answer this specific question.
Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. I have no problem accessing the internet on all 3 machines using Adelphia Cable Broadband, two using an ethernet  cable and one the wireless pc card.  There is no USB port involved.

Ro Ro 8) 8)

DukeNukem

Re: Adding a wireless computer to wired network
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 11:21:16 AM »
The wireless connection wizard wont change your wired lan settings.

Have you installed the buffalo wireless card on your laptop?

If you have, the windows wireless connection wizard will be pointless to go through because the buffalo wireless client disables the win xp wireless zero configuration service which is used by the windows wireless connection wizard.

roro

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:05:15 PM »
Yes, I have installed the Buffalo wireless card on my laptop.  I uninstalled the Client Manager, and am using the Windows Wireless Zero Configuation Service, using a WEP encryption Key, so the Wireless Wizard should work.
If I want to use the cable to connect with the laptop and disable the wireless service (or unplug the wireless card), My network should continue to work correctly ???
I have been having a little trouble with the wireless connection disabling itself and then reconnecting up to the IP.  I don't know if that is the PC card or the wireless router, and will have to go to Buffalo Tech support.

Ro Ro :D :D

DukeNukem

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:17:14 PM »
If I want to use the cable to connect with the laptop and disable the wireless service (or unplug the wireless card), My network should continue to work correctly ???

Yes it should be fine.

About your disconnection problem, does this happen with the buffalo client or windows xp wireless one?

roro

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 09:04:56 PM »
It happens with both.  That is why i  uninstalled the buffalo cllient.  I reallly should work with Buffalo  tech on this one.
Ro  8)

roro

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 08:31:23 AM »
Buffalo tech has finally solved my disconnect problem.
After first telling me to do these things:

1. updating router firmware
2. Changing the channel used from 11 to any other channel until one worked correctly.

I still had a disconnect problem. :(

I called again,and they said since rebooting my machine let the connection work for a while that it was a software problem, so I should:

1.  Update my BIOS (thru the computer manufacturer's website)they also said to update the chipset, but my manufacturer didn't have an update for that.
2.Update the Microsoft Windows Net Framework from the MIcrosoft site.
3. Uninstall and reinstall my Buffalo PC cards drivers

Voila!! It has worked for three days without disconnecting.  If anyone else has this problem maybe my solution will work for them.

Ro Ro ;D ;D