Author Topic: Adding a disclaimer note  (Read 12353 times)

Agron

Adding a disclaimer note
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:43:18 PM »
Hi,

We are evaluating avast! Distributed Network Manager but we cannot add the our company's disclaimer note. Have tried by “Insert notes”, even in all places where it was found, also we have changed the default txt avast note through “format of the notes” and it still comes up with default avast scan note in the server and at the Client side. Is there any way to add the note from the Network manager ? I assume we could add it by changing it manually for each client.

Thanx in advance,
Agron Fazliu

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Adding a disclaimer note
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »
So, you want to add the disclaimer on the workstation level? Why not do it on the mailserver? It's much easier to manage (1 server versus N workstations) and for various other reasons, sounds like a better option anyway.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Agron

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I think you misunderstood me :( I asked how to add the disclaimer from the the avast! Distributed Network Manager? because, as I mentioned, it does not work for some  reason and I mentioned adding it from the client side as the worst option which would do the job.
Adding the disclaimer to our mailserver (exchange) would require extra add-on software therefore we preferred using the avast! Distributed Network Manager, because I saw the Insert note option there.

Agron

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:43:11 PM »
Hi,
For folks having the same problem.
I found these two links on: How to Add a Disclaimer to Outgoing SMTP Messages

in Visual Basic Script
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317680

and

in Visual Basic
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317327

Although, I am sure this is not the best way to solve this problem.

Regards,
Agron

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 04:23:43 PM »
The question is: do you have avast Exchange Server Edition installed?

If so, it's fairly easy to add the disclaimer by using its methods.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
The question is: do you have avast Exchange Server Edition installed (i.e. the avast shield for Exchange Server)?

If so, it's fairly easy to add the disclaimer by using its methods.

Agron

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
Hi,

I assume you are referring to Avast Server Edition with Exchange Add-on. Yes I did check the "Insert notes into clean messages" into Outlook/Exchange Provider, but no disclaimer when I send the e-mail. I also checked the Disclaimer text and it is fine.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance
Agron

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 06:30:58 PM »
Outlook/Exchange is the provider used for desktop (Outlook) scanning.

The server protection is implemented by those two providers:

- Exchange 2000/2003
- SMTP 2000/2003

The "SMTP 2000/2003" provider should let you add notes to clean messages (centrally, on the server level).

To customize the message, you'll need to edit the corresponding txt/html files in the <AVAST>\data folder (on the Exchange server) though.

Thanks
Vlk

Agron

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 12:14:55 PM »
Hello,

Yes, I did what you said in the last post, but still no disclaimer. Then I tried by using one of the Visual Basic Scripts from the links below which also did not work. A message from this Microsoft link says:

"Note: If you use a MAPI client such as Microsoft Outlook to send the e-mail, the recipient does not receive a modified message."

So, if we add a disclaimer using SMTP means, be that Avast providers or VBS, it still will not work because we are using MAPI, not SMTP. Could this be the reason why Avast/VBS could not add the disclaimer?

Regards,
Agron

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »
Oh yeah, this problem. There is a work around for this, and it consists in creating of a secondary virtual SMTP server (on Exchange), and routing all traffic thru it. It's a bit complicated to set up, but it works.

Would you like to know more about this? I think I've seen a step-by-step walk-through somewhere.

Thanks
Vlk

jdswarnes

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 12:34:05 PM »
I am currently using the Exchange 2003 plug-in for avast net server edition.

We need to be able to add a disclaimer to the bottom of every email that leaves our LAN for the WWW.

I have read this thread and tried out editing all the tag files: AvClnTag.txt AvClnTag.HTM AveClnTag.txt AveClnTag.htm

However after setting & checking the various resident policy options which apply to the exchange server in question, no tags are added to the footer of any outbound emails.

Please can you explain step by step the procedure for configuring exchange 2003 managed by the ADNM.

Many thanks.

John.