Author Topic: AVAST Secureline DNS Leak  (Read 5851 times)

REDACTED

AVAST Secureline DNS Leak
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »
I have been using secureline and securebrowser for months now, and working fine, once i connect avast secureline and launch the avast secure browser i always visit https://whoer.net/ to confirm my annonymity and i always get 100%. Since last month each time i connect secureline and launch secure browser, https://whoer.net/ always tell me my DNS is different [this has never happened since i started using secureline]. i have disconnected and connect to all other locations but only Spain seems to be giving me 100% on whoer.net.

Whenever i connect to US or UK location, https://whoer.net/ detects the location but always shows DNS to Spain, i have tried other locations but spain DNS always comes up as shown in the screenshot.

I mostly use US and UK but due to this am forced to quit secureline, i have tried using the Google DNS via the IPV4 protocol but its still same, i am confused i dont know if the problem is from whoer.net or maybe something is totally wrong with Avast secureline. NOTE: am using the latest Avast Secureline and Antivirus likewise the Securebrowser. Any help will be much appreciated!!!

This problem has never been experienced for almost a year i started using secure-line, but just this month.
See IMAGE LINKhttp://prntscr.com/klp3pq
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:17:09 PM by emmanuelchineks »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: AVAST Secureline DNS Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 04:04:15 AM »
Using standalone avast vpn and set to Gotham City USA I get this (see below) for Google Gmail site: 

IP at the time was:  77.294.44.166   ???
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Raeken

• Deutsch living in France
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 05:44:02 PM »
emmanuelchineks, i had to read more than one time to understand your concern.
But, there we go...

Every VPN service uses a lot of third-party of network services providers. Then, they can offer a lot of IP addresses of many countries as they want.

For SecureLine, as long as you're connected, the "Virtual Adapter" from SecureLine sets the following DNS: 77.234.40.79;
This DNS belongs to Avast and it's their "secure DNS". So, you're always using this DNS to browser any website.
After connecting your SecureLine VPN, access this page: http://securedns.ff.avast.com/

(PS: for me, suddenly, is showing "We are sorry, but you are NOT protected by SecureDNS or SecureLine VPN"  ???)

But, some "privacy website" has access to the WebRTC which "tries" to show your real IP address. But, using a VPN with high encryption level it will not happen.
The information can show only the internal IP from the IP provider (not your IP and not Avast IP), but there's no reason to worry about it.

On https://whoer.net, i got "Anonymity 64%", but for the following reasons:

I really did not understand why this options should be a "problem" for my anonymity.
Only because i use more than one language in my web browser and i'm London for a short travel.

Well... When i accessed this website, i was connected through Berlin server.

Sincerely, do not worry about those information.
Take a look and see if everything is set to "automatically" on your "avast! SecureLine TAP Adapter V3" (on Widows Network Properties) and you should be ready to go.
Windows 11 Pro - Version 21H2 - 64 Bits | Avast SecureLine VPN - Standalone

Offline Raeken

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 05:53:33 PM »
mchain, a lot of IP addresses from SecureLine, actually, are seen as Czech Republic by Google. This is a annoying "issue", but we can choose another server and see if it shows as "USA" as it should.
But, the informed IP address does not exist. Is that right?

Do not worry. Try to connect to another server and see if you get a "real" american IP address.
Try to avoid the IP addresses which starts with "77" or "5", because they're from Avast Czech Republic or Privax/Hidemyass, and may appear as Czech Republic.
Only if you need to Google/YouTube or some websites, which detects the "wrong country" and can cause any "issues".

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »
Raeken you are correct the posted address at the time should have been 77.234.44.166!  Entirely my error here.  As far as Google is concerned, yes the issue seems to be related to the IP currently used and only shows when accessing a site controlled by Google.  If originating from an English-speaking site otherwise and browsing to another non-Google English-speaking site I do not see this happen.

Very disconcerting when it happens for the first time tho.

I don't use Google Chrome but wonder if using that would remove this issue?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Raeken

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
mchain, i see.
Unfortunately, using Google Chrome will not solve this issue. But, the websites should use your language preferences from your web browser.

I've tested here, while connected through one of this Czech Republic (only seen by Google) IP addresses (connected through "Gotham City" server) and using Google Chrome, and faced the same issue as you did.

I still recommend to use another server, which has some real american IP address. :(

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 06:21:29 AM »
Confirmed.   ??? 

Likely a computer networking glitch.