Author Topic: Question Moving Virus to the Chest  (Read 3820 times)

lava1

Question Moving Virus to the Chest
« on: July 11, 2006, 02:06:17 PM »
My question is moving Virus to the Chest plus there are  things in there now in the (System Files and All Chest Files)

1.  When u put it to the chest,  How do u check it after 2 or 3 weeks to know if is
 a.  False
 b.  If is infected

2.   After you check it and is Infected and u can delete it what happens to the stuff in  (System Files and All Chest Files)  do those files get deleted to and come back or do u lose them forever.   What in them both right now is.
   a. kernell32.dll
   b. kernell32.dll
   c. winshock.dll
   d. winshock32.dll

After is Infected what do u do.  Do u Repair it.   Scan it while is in the chest.  Remove it.    Delete while is in the chest

3.  How do know if is False and If so what do u do to remove it from the chest .  Do you Repair while is in the Chest, Scan it in the Chest, Restore while it is the Chest.

4.  Is the best time to check is before the new VRDB every 21 days before a new     one is generated.

Sorry to ask these question but I had Problems with Sality-W and I deleted because I did not know what to do and it was deleted and I had to reinstall my FireFox and Thunderbird. 

So if you can explain it easy terms to understand what to do for me.  That me and my roommate can understand it  we are older people and don't much about computer and trying to learn I would apprecate that very much.   The procedures  that I can print them out to follow I would apprecate it. 

Thank you for any help. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Question Moving Virus to the Chest
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »
1. Open the Infected files section and right click the file and select scan.

2. The 'stuff' in the System Files are backup copies just in case these important system files become infected. I think you have made a typo 'winsock.dll' and not 'winshock'. In the case of multiple copies if for any reason an update, etc. updates the file/s.

3. Right click a file in the infected files section it will give you options, if you scan it and it is infected, if it can be repaired that may be an option. However, surely that would have been an option when first detected. Not all files can be repaired only true viruses which infect files, not trojans, etc. where the total content is malicious.

By checking the file name on goggle (see if it is associated with a virus, etc.) check on the forums, and upload it to a multi engine scanner like Jotti, etc. The file can't be uploaded from the chest (a protected area) it would have to be exported to another temp location first.

4. There is no point waiting for a new VRDB generation, if it isn't possible to repair on original detection a new generation of the VRDB wont change that. I suggest reading the VRDB information in the Healing section of the avast help file to give a better understanding of what it does.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lava1

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 02:51:21 PM »
Thank you DavidR  Do u know the web page for Jotti and do u have to purchace it or is it free.  Just where do u find Virus Cleaner do u need to download it and dose it go to your Program Files.  Is it build in your Home Edition.  Thank you.   I found the extreme tool kit in about now do u click on that once or twice and it will work or do I need to still download it.  Sorry for the stupid question.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 02:56:39 PM by lava1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »
Jotti isn't a virus cleaner it scans for infection and lists any AVs that detected it as infected and what it is infected with. This can be used to confirm a detection is correct, if the uploaded/suspect file is only detected by avast, it may be a false positive detection, if multiple AVs detect something it is more likely to be a correct detection.

Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner
Or VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner They are both free services that check single files using multiple AV scans..

The avast virus cleaner is incorporated into the avast program and if a virus is detected that can be cleaned by it then avast can use it.

I have no idea what you mean by "I found the extreme tool kit in about now do u click on that once or twice and it will work or do I need to still download it."
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lava1

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 05:08:26 PM »
Again Thank u for your help.  The only question I have is (the virus cleaner  where is it incorporated into avast program and if a virus is detected how dose it clean it where is it in Avast and can u use anytime.

The extreme tool kit I found in the a that goes around The About it shows Extreme Kit version 1.9.4.0 and I was wondering if u click on that.

The  very last question I have to ask is how do use
Jotti
VirusTotal
Do you just put the virus you found example has Sality-W just put the
 a.  word in Jotti than just scan (Plus it keeps showing the status is busy and keeps
       retring is that suppose to happen.     Is it always busy                                                                                                                                                                                                         
 b.  make a temp file and put it into than just scan

If you could explain that too step by step to I would apprecated.

After that I won't bother u any more.  Sorry to be a pain I am just trying to learn.

Thanks Again and I really apprecate your help.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 06:32:33 PM by lava1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 05:53:48 PM »
I don't know where it is or how the underlying process works, if avast detects one of the viruses that can be cleaned by by the avast cleaner then it will, presumably by the repair process.

I still know nothing about the ext ream tool kit other than it is listed in the about avast list. So is the activeskin version, used for avast skinning. I can only assume it is a third party process like the activeskin version info also listed.

lava1

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 05:58:41 PM »
Thanks David,  there was one more question in there  I need to be  understand I was modifing it when you wrote back Thanks again :)    Again I Thank you so much
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 06:22:37 PM by lava1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »
In both Jotti and virus total you upload a copy of the suspect file from your system, you will see a Browse button, use that to navigate to the suspect file on your HDD and select it then you click Submit to upload it. The process is broadly similar on virus total, but you click Send to upload the file once selected.