Author Topic: latest update causes avast to become unresponsive  (Read 27065 times)

Offline jeanscondie

latest update causes avast to become unresponsive
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »
update 18.6.2349, since this update avast randomly becomes unresponsive and causes my whole computer to do the same all programs hang and computer has to be force closed. I am not convinced that my computer is being protected whilst this is happening. you guys broke it when are you going to fix it or can I have a link to the previous version which gave me 0 problems.

I am using avast I.S    on windows 7 pro  and runs alongside malwarebytes.
I have done a repair and reinstalled avast to no avail
Been using avast for a number of years now but will most likely by changing when subscription runs out as this is unacceptable.

REDACTED

Re: latest update causes avast to become unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »
I also did a clean install of Win7 ultimate, updated it

Now I try to run a Smart Scan on the recent version of Avast and at one point it freezes and error pops up saying (in my native language) just about "Error, avast isn't currently running" and it skips a step in the Smart Scan. After I try view the report, since it won't give me option for a new scan - the whole avast report screen is just white for several minutes and doesn't change at all.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »
I have been reading numerous posts regarding Avast issues with users that also run Mbam (malwarebytes) along side. It may be worth your while to completely uninstall malwarebytes with their uninstalll utility (mb-clean)
Reboot and see if your PC runs smoother.

Edit
Link for MB-Clean Tool:https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/196955-malwarebytes-support-tools/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:30:11 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline d00zah

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »
Avast & MWB co-existed quite well until the recent Avast update. Coupled with the issues currently being reported by non-MWB users, I respectfully question this advice.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 06:00:41 PM »
Avast & MWB co-existed quite well until the recent Avast update. Coupled with the issues currently being reported by non-MWB users, I respectfully question this advice.

Just a suggestion. Not a direction.  :)

Offline d00zah

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »
FWIW I've been monitoring both forums & the typical guidance, while solid debug technique, ignores the fact that most have been tried & reportedly bore no positive results. Being as I employ 'layered' protections, I can wait for a fix with SOME protections disabled... but the 'chatter' is often tough to take.  ::)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 06:49:09 PM »
FWIW I've been monitoring both forums & the typical guidance, while solid debug technique, ignores the fact that most have been tried & reportedly bore no positive results. Being as I employ 'layered' protections, I can wait for a fix with SOME protections disabled... but the 'chatter' is often tough to take.  ::)

Just to be clear, I have run Mbam and Avast together for over 20years and am also familiar with the lads a Mbam (for years)  ;)
Having said that, I'm also am aware that over the years software changes/developes and code get diversified so it's not illogical to assume conditions within and OS 'are not Static'. Things change, software that was once completely compatible becomes inconsistant, unpredictable.
Not all fixes are going to solve all issues for obvious reason that OS configurations are all different and therefore respond differently.
Some users have benefited from uninstalling Mbam, some have not.

Seeing as you monitor both support forums then I'm sure you've been following here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/235523-possible-conflict-between-malwarebytes-and-avast/?tab=comments#comment-1264853
   :)

Offline d00zah

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 07:07:51 PM »

Just to be clear, I have run Mbam and Avast together for over 20years and am also familiar with the lads a Mbam (for years)  ;)
Having said that, I'm also am aware that over the years software changes/developes and code get diversified so it's not illogical to assume conditions within and OS 'are not Static'. Things change, software that was once completely compatible becomes inconsistant, unpredictable.
Not all fixes are going to solve all issues for obvious reason that OS configurations are all different and therefore respond differently.
Some users have benefited from uninstalling Mbam, some have not.

Noted. Similar experience (& quite a few more years B^).

Seeing as you monitor both support forums then I'm sure you've been following here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/235523-possible-conflict-between-malwarebytes-and-avast/?tab=comments#comment-1264853
   :)

Yep.

Offline ReineCoco

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 12:31:01 AM »
Coco is not using MalWareBytes and still has the problem. So the problem is not MalWareBytes. Avast updated itself - overnight Tuesday to Wednesday? - and now

1   prevents access to the internet: Chrome claims the server was too slow to respond, but if I turn Avast off there is no problem. The servers respond as quickly as they have ever done.
2   prevents Outlook sending and downloading mail. Outlook reports that there are too many concurrent connections. It has not done so before.

I have rebooted the machine, and briefly things were better, but then they went wrong again. I have disabled the webshield controls. Avast looks at me sternly and says: 'All antivirus shields are off and that's bad. If the three...' How could I possibly disagree, but if Avast will not even allow me to connect to its own website, what am I too do.

When that message goes away it will tell me to reboot. But I have just rebooted this machine. Oh the irony of it! If I switch the machine off, of course the problem will go away.

Avast is the problem. The Avast free devices on this local network have no problems whatsoever with the internet connection or with email.

Has Avast been fixed, or does Coco have to go back to Norton?

Offline d00zah

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 01:58:33 AM »
Assuming Coco's Avast version includes it, disable (uninstall?) the 'Real Site' component. Then reboot. All others SEEM to play nice. I've had no lock-ups since doing this. YMMV
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:09:24 AM by d00zah »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
  ...Avast is the problem. The Avast free devices on this local network have no problems whatsoever with the internet connection or with email.

Has Avast been fixed, or does Coco have to go back to Norton?
Did you completely uninstall Norton before you installed Avast?  Because if you didn't you will see issues such as yours (no internet) due to antivirus conflicts from leftover antivirus drivers that did not get removed (Norton).

Try a complete uninstall of Norton followed by a reboot or two:  https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/11/#artTitle

If you have had other antiviruses installed in the past, use their tools to remove as well.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 03:34:02 PM »
How to Successfully Install Avast: http://goo.gl/VLXde
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
There's a confirmed compatibility issue between MBAM Pro and Avast Real Site component.

Real Site is a premium feature in Avast and can be disabled until the MBAM team release a fix.

The developers of Avast and MBAM are in contact to solve the issue.

If you're using the free version of Avast, there is no Real Site component running and the issue is somewhere else.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:29:13 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline d00zah

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
I did note 'Assuming Coco's Avast version includes it'... Coco didn't say. But it's a much simpler thing to test, than a uninstall/clean/reinstall... which may be unnecessary. I try to avoid categorical declarations...  many non-MWB users seem to be experiencing similar lock-ups.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:52:09 PM by d00zah »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 07:53:21 AM »
Dev-Info:  Hallo, I'm responsible for Real Site protection in the Avast product. I have tested both products several minutes ago, and problem is only in MalwareBytes Web Protection activation process. It hangs the MB product completely.

If I disable Real Site, enable MB WebProterction and then enable Real Site again, everything works well.

Some more technical pieces of information:
Malware Bytes is trying to filter the UDP traffic (probbably DNS). It's same as Real site does. If two products try to capture UDP traffic by Windows WFP technology, a UDP packet loop can occurs if it's not implemented correctly. We found this problem with several other products. It's caused by two WFP drivers, when each capture UDP packet generated by other, drop it and generate new one. But this new one is presented to first driver, captured, dropped, generated again and it can continue indefinitely.

We discussed the problem with Microsoft WFP developers, to try to find solution for the problem. Avast had some protection against this before, but it doesn't work every time. Then we implemented new solution recommended by Microsoft. I can see from driver debugging, that it works, when both components are active (as described above). Problem is just in WebProtection activation process (not under my control, no time for reverse engineering). Seems that the MB UDP filtering solution is not compatible with MS recommended solution, but anyway, if you use capture, drop, create and inject new packet scenario for the UDP traffic, it's completely wrong and can cause conflicts with many products.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0