Author Topic: Avast causes false warning flag since latest update  (Read 2825 times)

Offline avragorn

Avast causes false warning flag since latest update
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »
Hello,

Yesterday after watching a serie on a french site similar to Netflix, AVAST added firefox to the list of programs to not disturb. Since it did it, everytime I watch videos on this french site (OCS GO, the site of ORANGE TV), after leaving the site the flag of WINDOWS 7 says that there is a problem, so I check, and everytime it says that Windows Update is disabled, so I go to the settings of Windows Update, and everytime, as soon as I open the settings, I don't do anything, I don't change anything, the false alert goes away.

I remember that last year it happened too, I posted on a topic that has been created for that problem, and most of you said that AVAST didn't have anything to do with that, and some time after, after an AVAST update, the problem disappeared. So now it came back again.

Thanks,

avragorn
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline avragorn

Re: Avast causes false warning flag since latest update
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
I just tested with Netflix and Amazon Video, the same happens : after watching anything, right after closing Firefox, there is a white cross in red that appears on the white flag, saying that Windows Update is disabled, so I go to the Windows Update settings and the false alert goes away.
I don't know if it has anything to do with streaming videos only, it started yesterday, so I don't know if it happens with sites without streaming videos too.
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline avragorn

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
It is still occuring every time after I watched streaming videos.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »
I think a Screen Shot of the notice/warning would help. :)

Offline avragorn

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
I just noticed that the false warning goes away a few seconds after closing firefox. I had to open the Windows Update settings because Firefox was still opened. So it is not a big deal.
Next time it happens, I will keep Firefox opened and I will make some screenshots.

Offline Hried

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:32:32 PM »
Hey avragorn,
we indeed disable Windows Update while under Do Not Disturb so it doesn't attempt to force a reboot or display screens about needing to update and restart while you're watching movies (or presenting). This same behavior was in Game Mode while gaming - probably less noticeable since you were in fullscreen and Windows' complaints were not seen.

Does this happen also if you don't enter full-screen while watching videos? DND should go away anytime you're not in fullscreen. Can you also try with other browsers? Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:37:47 PM by Hried »

Offline avragorn

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
Hi :)
When I don't watch videos in full-screen mode, the false alert doesn't happen. It happens too when I am watching videos on full screen from my computer with VLC, and everytime AVAST says that "***name of the video ... - VLC" has been added to "Do Not Disturb" list, so there was a huge list of videos from my computer, so I disabled VLC from the "Do Not Disturb" list, so now it doesn't happen any longer.
It happens with Google Chrome too, I tried with Netflix.
If I disable the browsers in the "Do Not Disturb" list, there are risks that some things disturb the viewings of streaming videos in full screen mode.
But as you say, and as I said, it actually is not a real problem since it goes away when I am not in full screen, but I have to close Firefox (or Chrome) because the false alert stays if I keep Firefox & Chrome opened after watching streaming videos in full mode.
Since I noticed it disappears after closing Firefox, now I close Firefox after watching videos on full screen, and I open again Firefox, and the false alert goes away.
What I don't understand is why it suddenly happened last week. I had the problem last year by march/april, it stopped after a few weeks, and there wasn't any false alert from may 2017 to last week, it is reason why I think it comes from a new update.

Offline Hried

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »
Thanks for the update. We normally wait 30 seconds after finishing your fullscreen session (or until the process closes, whichever comes first) to resume Windows Update so this is likely why the notification appears (and disappears when you close it immediately). This is to prevent restarting it too often in case of many full-screen switches as that would bring extra overhead. But I understand the notification can be quite bothersome - we'll update it to use a combined approach: restart it immediately unless it is too soon after last restart. I'll let you know when it's out so you can test it :)

Offline avragorn

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
Thank you very much :)