Author Topic: Avast braking Firefox and hanging Shutdown  (Read 1973 times)

REDACTED

Avast braking Firefox and hanging Shutdown
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:57:10 AM »
I have Avast Internet Security and Clean up.

About a month ago, my windows 7 computer started not shutting down properly. It would either hang on the "logging out" message, or be forever "shutting down"
This week, Firefox started to hang on startup. Closing the multiple processes, there is always the last fireox process that cannot be killed in taskmanager.

When booting into Win7 safemode, everything worked fine.

After testing the startup processes over the last few days, the cupprit appears to be Avast. If I don't load it, everything is working. With it loaded firefox runs fine, and the computer shuts down fine. I uninstalled all Avast products, computer works great. Tried to reinstall, and the issue reappears.

Anyone else with this problem and know how to solve?

I have to now have avast products uninstalled. If avast broken there is no point in using it, and there goes my money  :(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast braking Firefox and hanging Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »
- Which version of AIS..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
- Which version of AIS..?
Avast Internet Security latest version I guess, as I try to keep them current, also Avast Cleanup - I uninstalled both of them, and redownloaded, but then both problems came back, so assume Im using latest.

- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit

Malwarebytes, Rapport

When I was investigating what was casuing the issue (using msconfig, to disabable startup services and programs), Rapport seemed to be casing the firefox crash. However, when I turned the Avast startup programs (services were on too at this point) the probelms reoccured.

Just in case that is not clear:

I started by turning off all services and startups.
Turned all services from Microsoft and Intel, then slowly turned the rest on. With startup programmes still disabled, the only thing that crashed Firefox on startup was Rapport (IBM). SO with this disabled, I started turning the startups back on. Turning Avast back on, and the problem returned.

- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
I've been using Avast for about 2 years, and still have another year on the liscence. Cleanup, probably over a year too. I used AVG before that. No real problems till recently. Both Malwarebytes and Rapport have been installed for quite sometime too.

offtopic: I cannot read the bloody verification captcha.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »
Malwarebytes, Rapport
See: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=221518.0

PS: Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0