Author Topic: Avast causes a memory leak  (Read 8643 times)

Offline raena.exml

Avast causes a memory leak
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:06:33 PM »
Hello!
We have already discussed this problem in a non-english zone, but I hope that people who can fix this issue will hear us.

In the last few days I noticed that watching videos on YouTube causes the non-paged pool to gradually growing, as well as the memory usage in general. Using Poolmon.exe, I came to the ndis.sys causing the problem. The problem manifests itself in Google Chrome or Opera 55, but not in Microsoft Edge though. I tried to disable NDU, as recommended for this kind of problem, but it did not help. The most interesting part - i noticed that the problem started after updating Avast to 18.6.2349 version, and a person with the same problem said that disabling Avast Web Shield works. And it really does! After disabling Web Shield, the non-paged pool no longer grows. So that's how we found a culprit.    
I also talked with one more person with this problem, but he uses the latest version of AVG, and his problem is solved in exactly the same way. Since AVG is a part of Avast, they can share this issue, i guess. So for now i already know 3 people with the same problem.

There is something in Web Shield that causes memory leak.

I do not want to turn off the protection components to make the system stable, so i hope that developers will see this topic and fix the issue as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:08:28 AM by raena.exml »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Avast causes a memory leak
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:40 PM »
Hello!
We have already discussed this problem in a non-english zone, but I hope that people who can fix this issue will hear us.

In the last few days I noticed that watching videos on YouTube causes the non-paged pool to gradually growing, as well as the memory usage in general. Using Poolmon.exe, I came to the ndis.sys causing the problem. The problem manifests itself in Google Chrome or Opera 55, but not in Microsoft Edge though. I tried to disable NDU, as recommended for this kind of problem, but it did not help. The most interesting part - i noticed that the problem started after updating Avast to 18.6.2349 version. A person with the same problem said that disabling Avast Web Shield works. And it really does! After disabling Web Shield, the non-paged pool no longer grows.   
I also talked with another person with this problem, but he uses the latest version of AVG, and his problem is solved in exactly the same way. Since AVG is a part of Avast, they can share this issue, i guess. I already know 3 people with the same problem.

There is something in Web Shield that causes memory leak.

I do not want to turn off the protection components to make the system stable, so i hope that developers will see this topic and fix the issue as soon as possible.
Is there a reason why you're repeating it here ??? Avast monitors all languages.
There are also moderators in all languages tha can refer something to Avast if it warrants and isn't addressed by Avast.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 11:47:00 PM »
I haven't seen any reports about this on this board yet.

What operating system do you use?
Have you tried a clean install and seen if the issue persists?
Do you have any dumps of the non-paged pool growing?

AVG and Avast use the same engine and the Web Shield component is the same for both versions.

There was changes in v18.6 to introduce support for scanning TLS 1.3 traffic via Web Shield for Chrome and Firefox and this may have caused it.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline raena.exml

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
Is there a reason why you're repeating it here ??? Avast monitors all languages.
There are also moderators in all languages tha can refer something to Avast if it warrants and isn't addressed by Avast.
I do not know how it works here, on Avast forum, but usually nobody reads Russian forums. So i started a new topic.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:52:28 AM by raena.exml »

Offline raena.exml

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:38:24 AM »
I haven't seen any reports about this on this board yet.

What operating system do you use?
Have you tried a clean install and seen if the issue persists?
Do you have any dumps of the non-paged pool growing?

AVG and Avast use the same engine and the Web Shield component is the same for both versions.

There was changes in v18.6 to introduce support for scanning TLS 1.3 traffic via Web Shield for Chrome and Firefox and this may have caused it.
Yeah, i saw only one post about this on Russian Avast forum.

I use Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1803 build 17134.228.
No, i did not.
No, do not have any.

Oh forget to mention. It seems that non-paged pool grows only when watching videos, unlike other network activity.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:53:03 AM by raena.exml »

Offline Zdenek

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »
Hi.
The main question for now is, do you use another AV or similar product as a "second layer" of the protection. It can be interop problem between twosimmilar products.

Thank you for the reply

Offline raena.exml

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:17:43 AM »
Hi.
The main question for now is, do you use another AV or similar product as a "second layer" of the protection. It can be interop problem between twosimmilar products.

Thank you for the reply
Hello! No, i use Avast Free Antivirus only.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 09:41:03 AM »
Raena.exml, what was the pooltag, please? I don't seem to repro it here. Thanks. Lukas

Offline raena.exml

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 09:45:49 AM »
Raena.exml, what was the pooltag, please? I don't seem to repro it here. Thanks. Lukas
Do you mean Poolmon? It was NDnd tag.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:48:43 AM by raena.exml »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »
Same problem. When I watch a video on YouTube, Vimeo a non-paged pool is growing.
I turned off the web shield in avast and the problem disappeared. When I turn on, the problem again appears.

Windows 10 x64 pro 17134.254
Avast 18.6.2349
Opera 55.0.2994.44 or Opera 56 beta
I use only avast, there are no other antivirus programs.

Sorry my english is not perfect

Offline Zdenek

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
Hallo

I have discovered reason of the leak. Fix is ready and is going to be tested by QA. We will release update with the fix in horizon of the several days.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Offline raena.exml

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »
Hallo

I have discovered reason of the leak. Fix is ready and is going to be tested by QA. We will release update with the fix in horizon of the several days.

Sorry for inconvenience.
Oh, that's great news! I will be waiting for the fix.

Offline Filip Braun

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
Hello,

Update fixing the issue was released yesterday.
The update will be delivered automatically and applied with next system (PC) restart.

Filip

Offline raena.exml

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 12:30:00 PM »
Hello,

Update fixing the issue was released yesterday.
The update will be delivered automatically and applied with next system (PC) restart.

Filip
Great! I have not received an update yet but i'm looking forward to it.