Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe problem  (Read 5929 times)

oldtraveler

ashWebSv.exe problem
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:51:08 PM »
In the last couple of weeks I have had a message from Avast that occurs within several minutes of booting that states that ashWebSv.exe (part of Avast) has encountered a problem and needs to close. After I click OK, then surfing proceeeds normally. I did update Avast recently so perhaps this is assiciated with that.

Firewall shows Avast to have complete clearance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ashWebSv.exe problem
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:52:48 PM »
Which is your Windows? 98, Me, XP?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Which is your firewall?

Welcome to forums.
The best things in life are free.

oldtraveler

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:55:39 PM »
Which is your Windows? 98, Me, XP?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Which is your firewall?

Welcome to forums.
This is a re-installation of XP Home with a new installation of Avast.

Firewall is Filseclab and show that ashWebSv has complete clearance. 

Will try the "repair"

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 04:01:56 PM »
If so can you show the full text of the error message (or screenshot) ?
Or look in the windows event viewer as it usually has the faulting application (indicated as being ashWebSv.exe) and the faulting 'Module,' which mat not be an avast one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

oldtraveler

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 04:02:30 PM »
After the repair and and a re-boot the problem occured again.

Using ONLY one av program.

oldtraveler

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 04:10:38 PM »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »
Well, the problem occurred in xfilter.dll file - which is not an avast! module.
So, I suggest to find the file (probably in the system32 folder, but not necessarily) and check its properties to find out where it comes from.

oldtraveler

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 04:39:56 PM »
Will check out xfilter later.  It may have connection to new firewall - Filseclab.

Is ashWebSv.exe a critical part of Avast? If not, can I configure Avast to run without it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »
As Igor mentions xfilter.dll is not an avast module, a google search for xfilter.dll returns many hits and many indicates this is from your firewall filseclab - from a hijackthis log file contents
"O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\filseclab\xfilter\xfilter.dll"

Also see http://www.spywaredata.com/spyware/malware/xfilter.dll.php.

If you have hijackthis you could run it and confirm this or search the above path and confirm the presence of this file. Since it would appear to have a hook of some sort into the Winsock LSP I'm not surprised that it could have an effect on ashWebSv.exe.

Perhaps a check and see if there is a program update for filseclab and filter.dll in particular.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

oldtraveler

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 08:27:58 PM »
Have uninstalled filseclab firewall and re-installed Sygate Personal Firewall.  So far that seems to have resolved the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 08:59:53 PM »
Glad we could help, welcome to the forums.

bearhead001

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 09:02:11 PM »
avast!WEBforum is a nice place to study Anti-virus and English

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 10:52:51 PM »
Some of you may recall that the ashMaiSv.exe failures with Filseclab firewall were reported last year.

However, it was also reported here in September 2005 that a fixed version of Filseclab firewall was released which included a correction for the incompatibility with ashMaiSv.exe.

If you really want Filseclab as your firewall then, as DavidR suggested, it may be worth checking the Filseclab site to make sure that you have the corrected version.