Author Topic: New Beta version 18.7.2350  (Read 18395 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re: New Beta version 18.7.2350
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »
One of the things that drew me to Avast over 14 years ago was its configurability, dumbing it down is a retrograde step.

Hear hear!

Please try the new settings and let us know your feedback. We just moved some unused settings to give more space to settings that users need and use.

Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen as the only system I used for beta testing is XP.  Since much of this relates to the DND function which isn't compatible with XP and many of those are Known Issues.

David, it's time for you to say goodbye to XP and move on to another window OS.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »
(snip)
Please try the new settings and let us know your feedback. We just moved some unused settings to give more space to settings that users need and use.

Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen as the only system I used for beta testing is XP.  Since much of this relates to the DND function which isn't compatible with XP and many of those are Known Issues.
More settings will be available at Geek section later.

A geek section hasn't been finished yet (there is only a list of settings for DND mode)
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 06:52:05 PM »
<snip quotes>

Not a bloody chance, too much software on this that simply won't install in win10. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 11:18:52 PM »
<snip quotes>

Not a bloody chance, too much software on this that simply won't install in win10.

+1
Know that feeling. :)

In addition: Don't mind the 'new settings' idea however where it goes from here remains to be seen....lots of "coming soon"
I guess what ever is coming will determine folks conclusion. Will it be useful, configurable, and in depth enough to be considered "geek area"? :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:24:36 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 04:34:09 AM »
Now, this is a step into right direction because a lot of settings were totally unnecessary even for advanced users. I really like it now, especially the new unified sensitivity slider so I don't have to do it for each shield by hand over and over.

Just a hint for Ransomware Shield, add way of accessing protected folder list from the new settings as well. I thought for a second that folder selection was gone just to only find it in the Ransomware Shield panel under Protection (but not under settings).

I see Ransomware Shield still has a weird fetish of adding bunch of meaningless folders just because it finds some images in them. Why not stick with Windows "documents" folders only and call it a day and leave everything extra to the users? It keeps on "protecting" bunch of folders from game Penumbra by adding "particles" folders under protection. same for NS2 Combat game with "screens" folder.

Also, it doesn't seem to be aware of moved documents folders. I have all of them moved to D: drive so I don't lose any of it when formatting system drive and it's protecting the old original USERS folder location. It should really read the OS variables and not use hardcoded values...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 01:30:12 AM »
Ok so guys I decided to go beta on second W10 machine and had some real quirks it seems.
Firstly, I downloaded 'off line' installer for FREE version.
I then installed over top of latest Stable version, beta came up on GUI however the new settings "look" wasn't showing, I had no search as the page was the old style.
I uninstalled the whole works (programs&features) and then reinstalled the beta download which installed smoothly but didn't ask/require to 'Reboot' (which I thought was odd).
Anyway, Again beta showed up in GUI as i expected, however again no new settings look going through MENU just the old look.
A "Reboot" solved
Thought it was odd when no reboot direction message appeared after initial installation. ???

Edit
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:34:05 AM by schmidthouse »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 06:13:42 PM »
So how are things coming along with next build?
Waiting... :)

Offline Vitdom

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 06:54:48 PM »
In this version of Avast I am unable to finish a Smart Scan. It always hangs at 96% while scanning for Performance Issues and I have to Stop the Scan. Restarting the PC does not resolve the issue, and I did not have the problem in the last version.
Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3opxcnmvh1xw01/avast2350smartscanlogs.zip?dl=1

Offline FranceBB1

• FranceBB
  • Broadcast Encoder
    • Github Account
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 07:19:24 AM »
In this version of Avast I am unable to finish a Smart Scan. It always hangs at 96% while scanning for Performance Issues and I have to Stop the Scan. Restarting the PC does not resolve the issue, and I did not have the problem in the last version.
Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3opxcnmvh1xw01/avast2350smartscanlogs.zip?dl=1

I cannot reproduce the issue.
(Avast Premier, Windows XP Professional x86 + Microsoft Extended Support):

Main: ESET Nod32  - Fedora Linux x64
Work: Avast Premier  - Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Microsoft Official Extended Support (2019)
Server: Symantec Endpoint Protection  - Windows Server 2019 x64