Author Topic: have told avast to always allow hxtsr.exe but it pops up repeatedly.  (Read 1720 times)

REDACTED

I have paid internet security. I have office 2016. I have avast ask me for new attempts at crossing the firewall which I then allow or block. I am frequently getting asked to allow or block the office file, hxtsr.exe.  I choose allow (and remember) but it still keeps asking me the question day after day.

I tried going to the actual files and setting an exclusion in the firewall allowing internet out and in for these files but to no avail, the program keeps asking me.

How do I get Avast to stop prompting me for these valid files? I have attached a screenshot of the problem.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: have told avast to always allow hxtsr.exe but it pops up repeatedly.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
What avast version number?
What OS version?
What MS Office version?  (Web/native)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »
You could change the firewall setting to 'auto decide'
There's nothing unsafe about that option. :)

I've used that setting for years (as well as "Ask" on occasion) and never been hacked. I also have "automatic port scanning detection" enabled.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 07:45:11 PM »
Thanks. I am aware of that option but prefer to ask/allow. The problem is that the program will not accept my allow/always remember choice for that particular program which is a problem with Avast.