Author Topic: Genieo FM MRT  (Read 16569 times)

REDACTED

Re: Genieo FM MRT
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
I have the same problem too. Pop-ups appear every 10 seconds it's very annoying and low-key worrying. I disabled the pop-up for now but I can still see the files multiply like crazy in my virus chest. I also don't have the Genieo app installed. My app is up to date for now so I guess they haven't patched this issue up yet :/

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
So to all those who have the pop-ups but apparently none of the Genio app, extensions or files, try this:

1. Disabling then re-enabling the File Shield: Open Avast, click on Preferences, then Shields, click Disable on the File Shield, then wait a short while and click Enable.

(get rid of all pop-ups and wait a while to see if popups continue)

2. Restart computer (in safe mode if you want)

3. Update your MacOS

If you need a quick way of avoiding the issue rather than dealing with it, just turn off the pop-ups: Go to Preferences, Popups, and adjust the sliders for Warnings and Alerts (I don't know which one this pop-up is) all the way to the left-hand 'off' position. Just remember to change them back once you've got through your project and actually SOLVED the problem, otherwise you might miss other genuine warnings and alerts!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:09:01 PM by CiaranHK »

Offline Philip4k

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 07:27:31 PM »
I just updated my macbook to the latest os and the "glitch" is no longer active. So that worked for me!

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 07:43:28 PM »
I didn't do anything but it seems like the problem has stopped (on my apps at least)

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »
So I'm not alone! I've turned off popups for now, it must be a false positive. Thanks everyone!

Offline LukasJ

• Avast team
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 10:59:22 PM »
Hi guys,
detection was fixed today at 8:30 pm

Lukas

Offline drake145

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 12:52:22 AM »
Hi All,

I am still getting the pop-up.

Running a scan also flags a private/var file (in the screenshot). Which I believe is also an FP:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/b1e9981ca51035b30fbb2d202a0f79b182f5e690707d8e448e2cc99a2e4fa8fa/detection

edit:
I have turned of the file shield as it is flagging a lot of files (same file over and over)
No new VPS available
Re-scanning the private/var file still finds an infection
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:44:05 PM by drake145 »

Offline theherb95

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 01:19:11 AM »
Ran Avast system scan.  Cascade of Genieo-FM alerts stopped. Couldn't find the Genieo file on the computer.   Must be a glitch in Avast. 

Offline drake145

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 01:42:22 AM »
I turned the file shield back on and re-started. It detected it once, but has not triggered again.

I re-scanned the var/ file, and it still finds an infection.

I cannot locate the System/Library/Coreservices file to re-scan, so I am assuming it doesn't exist and it is a glitch.

Edit:

It just popped up again for the System/Lib file.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 01:47:08 AM by drake145 »

Offline drake145

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
Good day all,

After dowloading the latest VPS, everything is back to normal.

Offline tlisanti

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
I had the same problem this morning on my Macbook Pro (10.13.6). Restarted machine several times, still got popups. Malwarebytes reported no issues. Running Avast 13.9. Do not have this problem on my Imac which is running same version of Avast but MacOs 10.12.6

I just started up my Macbook pro again, got the popups, clicked off all the popups and they have not returned. Restarted the computer and no popups! Has Avast fixed this.? Do I need to restore the quarantined MRT file???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »
Has Avast fixed this.?
Yes, see Reply #20 from Lukas.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline tlisanti

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
Thanks. Still wondering if I need to restore the quarantined file?

Offline Vladimirz

• Avast team
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »
Hi, yes restore mrt binary file from quarantine.

Problem was on Apple's side too - Malware Removal Toll MRT contains unencrypted strings of malware/adware definitions in one case Avast create the same string and cause Aplle doesn't encrypted its definitions (exactly for prevent this situations) Avast  mark this file as adware.
Sory to all.

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »
Hi, yes restore mrt binary file from quarantine.

Problem was on Apple's side too - Malware Removal Toll MRT contains unencrypted strings of malware/adware definitions in one case Avast create the same string and cause Aplle doesn't encrypted its definitions (exactly for prevent this situations) Avast  mark this file as adware.
Sory to all.

So I got the same popup today on both my macs. How do I restore this file, because when I use the restore button in the virus chest it says 'Cannot extract the item in the virus chest' and 'File already exists'. So what todo next? Ignore, delete??