Author Topic: Windows XP problems after install  (Read 4674 times)

troberts

Windows XP problems after install
« on: July 13, 2006, 03:40:36 AM »
I have an issue that involves AVAST Proffessional edition.  I installed the Network Distribution verison on a Windows 2003 SBS server and install the network version of avast on several pc's.  Since this has been installed, the users complained about not being able to lauch Windows Media Player.  They get an error that states "An internal Error has occured"

I tried to do a system restore from before avast was installed and System Restore won't launch.  I also tried to go to the windows update site and the computer wounldn't let me.  I can access the internet but I also get the complaint that they cannot access some sites.  I suspect these sites have scripts that avast is blocking.  I tried to uninstall avast and the errors are still there.

I have loaded this application before on a laptop and had no problems. 
Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows XP problems after install
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 05:16:21 AM »
I installed the Network Distribution verison on a Windows 2003 SBS server and install the network version of avast on several pc's.
Maybe the ADNM forum is better for this avast version.

Since this has been installed, the users complained about not being able to lauch Windows Media Player.  They get an error that states "An internal Error has occured"
Do you have any other player in that computer? Does it work? Do you have sounds in anyway in this computer?

I tried to do a system restore from before avast was installed and System Restore won't launch.
The System Restore troubles... well, the nightmare usual... MS did a bad job with this feature  :P

I also tried to go to the windows update site and the computer wounldn't let me.  I can access the internet but I also get the complaint that they cannot access some sites.  I suspect these sites have scripts that avast is blocking.  I tried to uninstall avast and the errors are still there.
avast does not block scripts... just scan them. It blocks the infected ones only.
Are you sure you're not infected?
Which firewall protects this computer?
The best things in life are free.

troberts

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:01:05 PM »
Other players work just fine on the computer,  I have realplayer and quicktime loaded, both play video and audio.

I have never had problems with system restore, everytime I've asked it to launch it would at least launch.  It might not restore what I want but it would at least always come up.

I have multiple computers with the same problem.  The day before I installed avast, I could get to these sites.  After I installed avast I can't get to these sites.  After I uninstall avast, I still can't get to these sites.  Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Jakob Schog

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »
Nach der Installation der Version Avast!$ Professional reagiert der Winddows Media Payer nicht mehr!?

Das Support- und Hilfecentrum kann nicht mehr aufgerufen werden.

Meine Benutzerkennung lautet: jakob.schog@online.de - 4

Der Lizenzschlüssel lautet: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Was muss ich tun?

Danke für Ihre Hilfe.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:02:39 PM by igor »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software

gail22

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »
To the Original Poster,

Did you happen to recently install a bunch of Windows XP critical updates?

One of them blocked my ability to access some sites using Internet Explorer.  I had to go into IE Tools/Options and just guess at the changes I needed to make, but then Internet Explorer allowed me to access those sites again.

Also, ever since installing a bunch of MS critical updates maybe three weeks ago, I can no longer download anything to my desktop, or send any shortcuts to my desktop.  There were too many (eleven on one day!) to try to keep uninstalling and rebooting, and experimenting to try to download a file to the desktop, so I gave up.  Thanks, Microsoft.  >:(

(I get a message that download to desktop completed, but it is nowhere to be seen and no, there are no other users, no other desktops it could have gone to.)

So, if you installed any critical updates from Microsoft very recently, also, that could be the problem with not being able to access particular websites.

Gail