Author Topic: Device has not been synchronized for more than 30 days.  (Read 3868 times)

REDACTED

Device has not been synchronized for more than 30 days.
« on: September 10, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »
The vast majority of my machines in business cloud are running Macs.  Around 25% of these Macs get "Device has not been synchronized for more than 30 days". Is there fix for this problem other than uninstalling/reinstalling?

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Re: Device has not been synchronized for more than 30 days.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »
while "have you turn it off and on again" may be just an IT phrase to get rid off users it sometimes may fix the issue.
As we haven't reproduced the issue we'd need logs to analyze and hopefully fix the root cause. I sent you email with detailed instruction to collect logs.
Quality is also a feature.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
while "have you turn it off and on again" may be just an IT phrase to get rid off users it sometimes may fix the issue.
As we haven't reproduced the issue we'd need logs to analyze and hopefully fix the root cause. I sent you email with detailed instruction to collect logs.

Thanks! I responded to your email. I can script an uninstall/reinstall process, but that would be a mess. I was hoping there some service that I need to restart which would be easier to fix.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »
Hi testdummy653,
After analyses of the logs that you sent we found that the device cannot communicate with backend because device record in DB is VALID FALSE!
Are you using some software for restoring and/or protecting files? Any idea what happened on the Mac between 2018-06-27 21:05:49+02 and 2018-06-27 21:54:17+02. when the issue occured?

Reinstall would definitely fix it however if it's caused by some restore of machine etc. then it could appear again. Based on the logs it seems that there are the same device is trying to connect to server with 2 different MAC addresses.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 01:10:02 PM »
Expanding on what Lukas said - did you use a drive clone software on any of the macs for deployment?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
testdummy653 - we have release version 13.10, try to update some of your clients to it. There are some fixes for similar "not connected" issues that were reported by other users. Maybe it will fix it... Let us know, please.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
First off apology for the delay. I forgot to revisit this topic.

Hi testdummy653,
After analyses of the logs that you sent we found that the device cannot communicate with backend because device record in DB is VALID FALSE!
Are you using some software for restoring and/or protecting files? Any idea what happened on the Mac between 2018-06-27 21:05:49+02 and 2018-06-27 21:54:17+02. when the issue occured?

Reinstall would definitely fix it however if it's caused by some restore of machine etc. then it could appear again. Based on the logs it seems that there are the same device is trying to connect to server with 2 different MAC addresses.

I spent most of the day working on update the target devices. The updates were getting stuck on that machine. Is there way to change DB record?

Expanding on what Lukas said - did you use a drive clone software on any of the macs for deployment?

No, We do not clone drives. I do use a MDM to deploy Avast for Business. The process is a avast installer (created from Avast Online Console) is cached on the machine, a script is run to mount the .dmg and then installs the package.

testdummy653 - we have release version 13.10, try to update some of your clients to it. There are some fixes for similar "not connected" issues that were reported by other users. Maybe it will fix it... Let us know, please.

Still an issue.