Author Topic: WHAT! No one click????????????  (Read 2211 times)

almostaerp

WHAT! No one click????????????
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:59:45 AM »

Hi-
  I am very pleased that avast is available for Win98. To be honest, there is not much out the for ther older versions anymore.

Here's my problem: I downloaded avast yesterday. It was making my PC run too slow. I removed it from my PC, and added it again today. I hope I won't have to remove it again. I won't know till I figure out how to scan my PC.

First of all, my blue ball with the A on it has a red circle, with a red line in the middle of it. WHY????? ??? ???

Then, the most important problem I am having, how do I scan my PC?? ??? ??? ??? Sorry, but I am use to just clicking once, and the scan begins. There might be three choices, "quick", "normal", or "thoroughly".  This is just very confusing for me.

I did figure out how to scan my files. But why is everything separate? PLEASE HELP!!! :-[ :-[ :-[

When replying, and explaining everything. I really hate to ask, but please use as much "English" as possible. I have read a few replies, and not been able to understand them.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: WHAT! No one click????????????
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 02:28:26 AM »
Well it's what it says. Quick is less thorough scan method but fastest, Normal is good balance of speed and scan depth and Thorough is the toughest scan mode.
Select what you want to scan, set the sensitivity (if in doubts just leave at Normal) and hit Scan.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: WHAT! No one click????????????
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 02:29:29 AM »
First of all, my blue ball with the A on it has a red circle, with a red line in the middle of it. WHY?
This is usually an indication of the presence of another resident AV or remnants of one. Have (or did) you have another AV installed in this system, if so what and how did you get rid of it ?

Have you figured out where the avast help file is (right click in the skin interface or press F1 in the simple user interface) ? In the help file, find the, Simple User Interface, Working with avast! 4 in the simple user interface.
Quote from: extract avast help file
After you select the area to scan, a bar with a slider appears. Moving the slider, you specify the scanner sensitivity. There are three levels:

Quick Scan. Only the possibly dangerous files are scanned, according to their extension. It means that the files with extensions EXE, SCR, COM, DOC, etc. are scanned. Within the file, avast! looks only for those viruses that infect the corresponding type of file. It means that macroviruses are not searched for in EXE files etc.
Standard Scan. Only the possibly dangerous files are scanned, according to their content. The file extension is ignored. Again, only the viruses corresponding to the particular file type are searched for.
Thorough Scan. All files are tested, against all viruses.

The idea is to compromise between performance and duration, a Standard scan, without archive files is usually sufficient. If you choose the Through scan as it says this scans everything and can take a long time, if you also have it scan archives (compressed files) then it will take even longer.

You can also select what areas to scan these are the things that many like abut avast is is flexibility and configurability, yes it takes a little to get used to but after that hopefully you will like it as we do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security