Author Topic: Buy on one computer, use on another?  (Read 2045 times)

REDACTED

Buy on one computer, use on another?
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
My son's computer seems to have been infected with the absunset trojan although he has the free version of Avast installed on it. My question is, can I buy an Avast license on one computer (my own Mac) and use it on another computer (his Windows)? I don't really want to enter my credit card info on his computer…

/Magnus

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Buy on one computer, use on another?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »
Both Free and paid versions offer the same basic protection.  So, not likely a license upgrade will solve the trojan infection on the other computer.

You could upgrade after using a Windows license purchased using the Mac, and paid does offer additional features that will offer protection in areas Free does not for the future, but best to submit logs for the malware expert to clean and diagnose the system infected.  Cleaning your system first is priority.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=194892.0 

Attach logs in your next reply; use Attachments and other options below the Reply box to do so.  You should have three (3) logs attached when done.

A malware expert will be contacted as soon as possible once this is done.

Downloading and installing free stuff is often a source of infections.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
Thanks for your repy! Attached are actually four log files; Farbar Recovery Scan Tools produced two log files (FRST.txt and Addition.txt).

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:52:05 PM »
Instructions also say

To get assistance create a  topic in the Virus and Worms forum 

Avast Free Antivirus / Pro Antivirus / Internet Security/ Premier 
Avast Free/Pro/IS/Premier topics and issues, not viruses or false alarms here!

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
Ah, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!