Author Topic: AshWebSv.exe Error Reports...  (Read 5177 times)

InStitches49

AshWebSv.exe Error Reports...
« on: July 14, 2006, 06:21:55 PM »
I am constantly getting the AshWebSv.exe error messages every time I start up my computer and try to get on the internet.  Today I copied these two Error Report Contents--
  C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER43f6.dir00\ashWebSv.exe.mdmp
   C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER43f6.dir00\appcompat.txt

I have thought about uninstalling Avast and reinstalling to see if it helps.  However, Avast was put on my computer by a computer repair co. locally after the computer locked up when I took off a previous antivirus program (not Avast).  I can't afford for it to lock up again or do something disastrous right now.  What can I do to stop these messages every time I start up the computer?  Thanks!

ardvark

Re: AshWebSv.exe Error Reports...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 07:15:02 PM »
Hi...

I assume you're using Win XP as your OS? What was the previous antivirus you had installed?

I'm trusting your local repair outfit removed the remnants properly... ;)

Best Regards...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:12:17 PM »
What is the content of the appcompat.txt, anything relating to a faulting Module ?

Can you give the full text (or screenshot) of the error message you are getting ?
On errors there is usually a faulting Program (in this case indicating ashWebSv.exe) and a faulting Module, this is often the true culprit and frequently a third party dll, etc. What was the faulting Module ?

Check out the XP Event Viewer, Application section the old error details should be there also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

InStitches49

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 10:36:54 PM »
To David R.,
   I am not that great with computers so I don't know how to get a screenshot of the error message.  It's basically the same message each time it appears except I haven't always checked out the details of the error.  I don't know what a faulting module is either...sorry but a lot of technical things on computers go way over my middle-aged brain <VBG>!  I am using Windows XP and will try to find the Event Viewer mentioned and look at it for any clues or ideas.  I apologize for my "dumbness" but I thought I'd post a question as this error message is perplexing and frustrating each time I turn the computer on.  Thanks so much for answering. 

InStitches49

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 10:42:27 PM »
To aardvark,
     I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my question.  As you may sense by now, I am not a whiz by any means on computers.  I am using Windows XP and had a purchased antivirus that was part of a program called System Mechanics Professional.  I guess I thought that if a program was in the Control Panel under "Remove/Add Programs" it would be easy to do that.  Unfortunately I found out that some programs attach little pieces of themselves to other computer things and can really mess up a computer when fiddled with.  I'm now scared to remove any program...geesh!!! Computers are fickle things at least to me!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 12:14:47 AM »
To David R.,
   I am not that great with computers so I don't know how to get a screenshot of the error message.  It's basically the same message each time it appears except I haven't always checked out the details of the error.  I don't know what a faulting module is either...sorry but a lot of technical things on computers go way over my middle-aged brain <VBG>! 
In the error message text, there is usually reference the the faulting program and after that the faulting Module, if the message pops-up again make a note of the full text. Don't worry about the screenshot if you can record the error text in full.

The event Viewer can be found in the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mrG

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 03:27:31 AM »
I'm running avast home with xp pro.  I did a boot scan, and deleted all infected files without paying much attention to it. 

The problem I'm having is when I try to open my browser, I get "The page cannot be displayed", although I'm online.

If I disable ashwebsv.exe in my task manager, my internet explorer works, but then I'm not being protected.

Any solutions,
Thx Gordo

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 08:43:32 AM »
InStitches49

are you using the Filseclab firewall?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 03:21:58 PM »
I'm running avast home with xp pro.  I did a boot scan, and deleted all infected files without paying much attention to it. 

The problem I'm having is when I try to open my browser, I get "The page cannot be displayed", although I'm online.

If I disable ashwebsv.exe in my task manager, my internet explorer works, but then I'm not being protected.
Firstly, deletion is not a good first option (excuse the pun), it leaves you with no further options, 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

There is an easier way to pause/terminate the Web Shield, without using Task Manager to kill the process, double click the avast icon and select the Web Shield provider and click pause.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow access to ashWebSv.exe (if not it will be blocked and you can't browse) ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 10:08:22 AM »
When you got the error message, you should have received the "Report to Microsoft" dialog... did you get it (and did you submit the error to Microsoft)?
Could you please send the two files mentioned in the first post to rypacek@asw.cz, with a short description or link to this thread?
Thanks.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 11:47:55 AM »
hi Igor,

when I posted in this thread to InStitches49 I had not noticed that the thread had been idle for some time and resurrected by MrG and that DavidR had responded to MrG.

It does get a bit confusing when threads are reused in this way.  I was just wondering who you were trying to respond to. 

By the way it looks to me (through more recent postings in another thread) that the problem for Institches was most likely the Fileseclab firewall and the need for its users to install a specific fix (still) to run with avast.       

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 03:40:11 PM »
Well since it has been over 8 days and no response from mrG, so I guess this topic is idle again ;D